Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinMorneault
Helper II
Helper II

Removing character from beginning Len vary

Hi

I am trying to improve the quality of our report. One thing i trying to do is remove any character from beginning to the string needed. Len would vary as  there is non -standard process to enter the summay here's an example

Scenario 1

1234533321122New IT Equipment

33Account setup

test1test2upgrade IT equipment

Basically here i would like to remove everything before  New IT Equipment, Account Setup and Upgrade IT equiment

By doing this i would have a colum for Type of Request  within the colum end result would be like this

Type of Request

New IT Equipment

Account Setup

Upgrade IT Equipment

Instead of scenario 1 .

Main reason of doing this would be for reporting and filtering within a Dashboard, which right now we are not able to do 

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KevinMorneault 

I just want to confirm if you resolved this issue? If yes, you can accept the answer helpful as the solution or share you method and accept it as solution, thanks for your contribution to improve Power BI.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinMorneault ,

You mean something like this?

tomfox_0-1657223370756.png

Here the code in M

if Text.PositionOf([Column1], "New", Occurrence.Last) > 0 
then Text.RemoveRange([Column1],0, Text.PositionOf([Column1], "New", Occurrence.Last)) 
else if Text.PositionOf([Column1], "Account", Occurrence.Last) > 0 
then Text.RemoveRange([Column1],0, Text.PositionOf([Column1], "Account", Occurrence.Last))  
else if Text.PositionOf([Column1], "upgrade", Occurrence.Last) > 0 
then Text.RemoveRange([Column1],0, Text.PositionOf([Column1], "upgrade", Occurrence.Last))  
else [Column1]

Unfortunately, you cannot use the function PositionOfAny() since it allows only single letters / numbers in the list. But you can use PositionOf and then do a nested if statement. Note, M is case sensitive, meaning in our example above you must look for "New", "Account" and "ugrade" to get a match.

Hope this helps and do not forget to mark the answer as a solution if that was what you were looking for 🙂 Others will have it a lot easier to navigate to the solution then.

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinMorneault ,

It is hard to tell which logic is needed to fix your issue for all eventualities. I will still give it a shot though. I came up with the following rule:

remove everything before and including the last number of the string

33Account setup

-->

33Account setup

-->

New IT Equipment

Account Setup

Upgrade IT Equipment

Here a solution in Power Query:

Text.RemoveRange([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}, Occurrence.Last) + 1)

And here the code in M that you can paste into advanced editor:

tomfox_0-1657048584179.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQyNjE1NjY2MjQ0MvJLLVfwDFFwLSzNLMhNzStRitWJVjI2dkxOzi/NK1EoTi0pLQCLlaQWlxiCCKPSgvSixJRUkLZUhLZYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.RemoveRange([Column1],0, Text.PositionOfAny([Column1], {"0".."9"}, Occurrence.Last) + 1))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Let me know if this helps 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hi 

How are you tks for your input. I guess i did not notice that i provided you only number. As for the scenario or example provided, i just type in some character in front of the string we are trying to keep, so basically in most case it would be a letter or - (Hypen), what i did, i did some modification with your query by changing numbers with letter, when i did, it was only showing the end of the line, so i change occurence.last with occurence.first 

One thing i wanted to ask if i know the beginning of the string examle New, Account, Upgrade etc, is there a way to have a query stating everytying before the beginning of the string to be remove. so for example if i have  Xerox inc montreal - New , everything before new would be remove.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.