Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johalien
Frequent Visitor

Removing any columns causes errors

Hi

My source data is from a google sheet. It has not changed in any way - I have been working on it for the last month.

However, suddenly I am getting errors.

Today I re-imported the source and noted that as soon as I remove columns I get the following error:

"The column of the table wasn't found"

It does not matter which column I remove. I will continue to get that error until I added all removed columns back.

Yes, I updated gateway. Yes, I checked the advanced editor. Yes, I checked the types. No, I did not add any customer columns. The ONLY thing causing this error is when I remove a column. I even made sure to make not changes except removing columns (Applied steps shows Source / Navigation / Removed Columns. Am I missing a hidden setting that I might have accidentally activated?

Johalien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I figured it out - might be related to the credentials to access the data source.

I cleared my cache - went to "data source settings" and cleared all permissions - then recaptured them.

I was able to load this source again and make all changes necessary. 

@Anonymous - thank you for your assistance 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Johalien,

Sometimes when I use Excel file as a source, I would get additional null columns. To prevent this, you can use Remove Other Columns to keep the columns you want instead of removing the columns you dont need. 

Hi Nick

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I am still getting the error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Johalien,

Can you provide a screenshot of the error and the step before the error step? I will try my best to debug it

Steps before I get the errorSteps before I get the errorStep Causing the errorStep Causing the errorAdvanced EditorAdvanced EditorError after I apply changesError after I apply changes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Johalien,

Did you check if your Excel file has Column1 or maybe there is an extra space after Column1 like "Column1 "? 

Hi

Power Bi adds two additional columns to the left. One is blank and the other is an index column. But the error is not column specific. If i remove 5 columns it will continue to give me the error until I add them all back.

I am getting this error when I apply any changes now and also on all my data sets looking at google sheets  Smiley Sad

I think I figured it out - might be related to the credentials to access the data source.

I cleared my cache - went to "data source settings" and cleared all permissions - then recaptured them.

I was able to load this source again and make all changes necessary. 

@Anonymous - thank you for your assistance 🙂

HI Johalien

I tried cearing credentials and I have the same problem still. Its just an excel spreadsheet.

Luis

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried clearing the cache- clearing all permissions and refreshed. It doesn't seem to work. What am I missing?

Thank you!

ColumnError.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.