CahabaData New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Remove totals in matrix table

see my post of 4/20 on page 3 of this string

www.CahabaData.com
dmb33875 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would take my chances here on this thread.  I am looking to remove the unnecessary/unneeded total row for ths matrix.  For the finance people the numbers are coming across as accounting ready with debits left and credits right.  If I was to pull in the info mormally then the total actual revenue would have come across as -805.  Instead I use a hasonevalue measure to flip the sales vs. costs.  In doing that there is no total calculation.  I added a second table visual at the bottom to get an operating income total.  It works, but if someone has a better suggestion then I would certainly listen.  If not then just a suggestion to remove that total at the bottom of the matrix that sticks out like a sore thumb would be great.  FYI, I am using pink/blue conditional formating from the color blind friendly color scheme vs. a more traditional red/green conditional formating.  

Capture.JPG

swmcbri Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Updated action list:

Select Matrix > Format tab > Subtotals > Row Subtotals > toggle to off

More words (same actions)

Select the Matrix >

In the visulaizations menu select "Format" tab (the painbrush) > 

Select the submenu "Subtotals" >

In the list item "Row Subtotals" Toggle the slider to off.

dmb33875 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@swmcbri Thanks for the suggestion but we previously tried this.  The action you are suggesting removes all subtotals, including that of Revenue, Total COS and Total SG&A so it is not a suitable solution.  The solution we are looking for would be more akin to what you see in an Excel pivot where you can remove the grand totals for either rows or columns.  While Power BI does have formating for grand totals, the abilty to exclude the grand total is not an option.  Furthermore, if you were to attempt to change the font white (or whyatever your background is) the row label of "total" remains intact.  Finally, text cannot be reduced below a point size of 8 so setting it to zero is not a viable option either.  Perhaps someday Microsoft will allow the ability to exclude the grand total independent of the sub total.  

ydaoud Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In power bi 2018

Matrix ==> Click on Format ==> subtotals ==> Row subtotals ON/OFF and/OR Column subtotals ON/OFF

Table ==> Format ==> Totals ==> ON/OFF

dmb33875 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

You are correct that you can remove totals for tables.  However you cannot remove a grand total for a matrix at this time.  

brycedwhite Visitor
Visitor

I'm really quite surprised that we're not able to turn off grand totals on the matrix visual considering people have been requsting this enhancement for many years.  As a work-around I set the font and background color to white - not perfect, but it's OK for the time being.

Highlighted
solvisig Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@brycedwhite

Another workaround:
If your columns in your matrix consists of measures, then you can do

value = if(hasonefilter([highest level row column]);[valuecolumn]))

this should make the grand total row blank. and no need to change the colors.