cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Remove totals in matrix table

How do I remove totals from the rows. When I make a matrix the columns delivers a total for every column, distubing the picture.

Matrix problem.jpg

51 REPLIES 51
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So I am going to add to this string because there is some confusion.  Yes the solution identified turns of ALL TOTALS.  But as per the original post - some of us want less sub-totals but still totals.  This question is not answered.

There is a post saying that one can right click and select Do Not Summarize - - but that post is incorrect as several have noted - it applies only to the Table visual, not the Matrix visual.

What is happening is that there is a Total line for each Row.  The Row fields are defined & showing in the Visual Design Pane at right.  To have a less number of Total lines you need to have a less number of Row fields.

In my case I had separate fields for customer name, customer number - - so I created a new calculated field that merged those 2 fields - -so then in the matrix I could have one less Row field - thus one less Total line....

hope this helps someone......

www.CahabaData.com
Highlighted

Yes this is crazy. I want to be able to show totals for the columns I choose, not all columns.

2017-05-17 16_35_31-ProjectAnalysisConsole - Copy - Building New Summary - Power BI Desktop.png

I only want to show a total for my $ amounts, the other 'totals' are nonsensical. The same behaviour as the Table visual would be good. And While I'm making suggestions, I'd really like to be able to edit those column headings - what is there is just silly!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@KarlinOz I have the same problem that you. I only want to show some column subtotals. Did you find a solution for that?

Thanks a lot.

Highlighted

Thanks for your post CahabaData. It helped me.

Highlighted

@RitaPT sadly there seems to be no solution for this. I don't know if anyone has put in a feature request for it.

Highlighted

please see my post on page 3 (4/20/17); it explains the design.  To reduce your totals - reduce your rows by modeling/merging row data.  for now that is the only method to manage this.  perhaps in the future there will be an explicit on/off for individual row totals but that is not there now.

www.CahabaData.com
Highlighted

My apologies @CahabaData, I misread your post. My problem is different to yours and to this thread - I wan't to limit totals on individual columns of a matrix not rows. I should start a new thread on that.

Highlighted

@RitaPT see my 2nd post here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/URLs-in-Matrix-are-clickable-links-when-as-Rows-but-not-as/t... to see my work-around to remove specific columns from showing a total.

Highlighted

good input; to summarize your post in other thread:

a work-around for suppressing Totals of those columns which you don't want: In the formatting area > Column formatting 

Select your text column, change the Font color to match your background colour, turn Color values Off, Color subtotals and Color totals On. Repeat for all your text columns.

www.CahabaData.com
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

how can I hide subtotals in Matrix but keeping the grand total?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors