Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KimStenager

Remove totals in matrix table

How do I remove totals from the rows. When I make a matrix the columns delivers a total for every column, distubing the picture.

Matrix problem.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

According to me marix properties->General->Row Totals on/off should work

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So I am going to add to this string because there is some confusion.  Yes the solution identified turns of ALL TOTALS.  But as per the original post - some of us want less sub-totals but still totals.  This question is not answered.

There is a post saying that one can right click and select Do Not Summarize - - but that post is incorrect as several have noted - it applies only to the Table visual, not the Matrix visual.

What is happening is that there is a Total line for each Row.  The Row fields are defined & showing in the Visual Design Pane at right.  To have a less number of Total lines you need to have a less number of Row fields.

In my case I had separate fields for customer name, customer number - - so I created a new calculated field that merged those 2 fields - -so then in the matrix I could have one less Row field - thus one less Total line....

hope this helps someone......

www.CahabaData.com

Thanks for your post CahabaData. It helped me.

Yes this is crazy. I want to be able to show totals for the columns I choose, not all columns.

2017-05-17 16_35_31-ProjectAnalysisConsole - Copy - Building New Summary - Power BI Desktop.png

I only want to show a total for my $ amounts, the other 'totals' are nonsensical. The same behaviour as the Table visual would be good. And While I'm making suggestions, I'd really like to be able to edit those column headings - what is there is just silly!

sriharsha36
Frequent Visitor

Go into the Fields Icon , which is on the Right End ( which is more of a Rectangle inside a Rectangle Shape). Right Click on the field which you do not want the total for "Check"/ "Select" the "Dont Summarize" option. 

Hi! Could you please add a print screen, because I don't seem to find the elements... Thanks!

sum1.JPG

Right Click on the field which you do not want to use the summarize option and tick mark the dont summarize option. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was it. Issue solved. Thank you!!

Thanks for the screenshots,  sriharsha36. Unfortuantely that only seems to work if the vizualization is a Table. When it is changed to Matrix, the option disappears.

Thanks for the screenshots, sriharsha36. Unfortunately that only appears to be an option if the visualization is a Table. When Matrix is selected, this option disappears.

Frankcf
Frequent Visitor

I have checked my version of power bi desktop and do not seem to have the ability to turn off subtotals in a matix

ronnoc
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is a really hopeless thread. Obviously a few people including myself with no idea how to disable the row totals.

"Just go to matrix properties" is extremely vague as this ribbon or drop down either doesnt exist on the current version or is very well hidden.

Hi @ronnoc

Please take a look at the attached screenshot. Does it answer your question?

Best regards

Tsanka

Matrix.png

Thanks!  I'm new to Power BI and could not find this.  Never thought to look under "General".  DOH!!  🙂

This is the correct answer and should be promoted to the top. Thanks Tsanka!

Yes it does cheers! Missed it all along. Thank you

Hi all,

Does anyone know if having sub-totalling as option at a field level is in the roadmap? 

I.e. right now, you either have an all or nothing when it comes to totalling a matrix with multiple row fields, some of which we don't need totalling on.

I don't think this is possibly currently?

Thanks in advance,

Cody

THANK YOU.  Not only is it not called "Properties" it was not where I expected it to be.

pbi2015
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is there a way to remove totals from the rows but keeping the Grand Total?

Have you found any solution to this?

see my post of 4/20 on page 3 of this string

www.CahabaData.com
Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

According to me marix properties->General->Row Totals on/off should work

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.