Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove text between delimiters

Hi,

I’m looking for a way to remove the text between two delimiters. I’ve tried these two solutions but unfortunately they do not work for me.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remove-text-between-delimiters/m-p/303937

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-Query-remove-all-text-between-delimiters/m-p/460854

The problem is as follows.

I have a table with 3 million rows of product information:

Product input

Bla Bla Bla 7LITER

bla 5LITER text text

Blab la text

4LITER text bla

Bla 4.0LITER text

Text bla LITER50 bla text

Bla bla 233.3LITER text bla 10LITER text text

As you can see the product information can contain the volume of the product, but sometimes it will not contain that info. The position of the volume information (LITER) is different for each row, this is only a small example of some of the types of ways the information is being displayed. Next to that sometimes the LITER precedes the amount, and sometimes the amount will be shown before the LITER, and sometimes the amount of Liters will have a decimal in the number.

I want to remove the volume information from all rows so that the output looks like this:

Product input

Product output

Bla Bla Bla 7LITER

Bla Bla Bla

bla 5LITER text text

Bla text text

Blab la text

Blab la text

4LITER text bla

text bla

Bla 4.88LITER text

Bla text

Text bla LITER50 bla text

Text bla bla text

Bla bla 233.3LITER text bla 10LITER text text

Bla bla text bla text text

A solution would be to simple do a search and replace for all possible LITER combinations, but that will result in hundreds of search and replace queries, which has a big impact on refresh time. How can I get to the output with the least amount of processing power?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a column with the bolded code - if you paste the full code into the advanced editor you'll have a complete solution:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspJVIBhcx/PENcgpVidaKUkINcUzFUoSa0oARNgCaC6JAWgJFzABEkVUBdMkYKJngFCBiwaAlWiABY3NQCzkQ0GCxgZG+sZo5qpYGiA4ZRYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product input" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product input", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Changed Type", 
            "Custom", 
            each Text.Combine(
                    List.Select(
                        Text.Split([Product input], " "), 
                        (x) => not Text.Contains(x, "liter", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)), 
                    " "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

.. unfortunately the new editor doesn't let me highlight parts of the code anymore - this is the code that goes into the "Table-Add-column-Window":

Text.Combine(
                    List.Select(
                    " ")

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Perhaps it will be either a function that removes any word that "contains" Liter, or inserting a delimiter around any word that contains the same.  Calling on the M language superheroes.  @ImkeF @KenPuls .

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes such a solution would indeed do the trick!

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a column with the bolded code - if you paste the full code into the advanced editor you'll have a complete solution:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspJVIBhcx/PENcgpVidaKUkINcUzFUoSa0oARNgCaC6JAWgJFzABEkVUBdMkYKJngFCBiwaAlWiABY3NQCzkQ0GCxgZG+sZo5qpYGiA4ZRYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product input" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product input", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Changed Type", 
            "Custom", 
            each Text.Combine(
                    List.Select(
                    " "))
in
    #"Added Custom"

.. unfortunately the new editor doesn't let me highlight parts of the code anymore - this is the code that goes into the "Table-Add-column-Window":

Text.Combine(
                    List.Select(
                    " ")

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ImkeF  that works perfectly, thanks so much for your help!

BTW, are there any books or courses you'd recommend to become better at writing M?

Regards

Bas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.