Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

purplehaze

Remove summarization of Matrix Values

Hello,

I'm trying to create a Matrix table that maps a user's answer score to a question for multiple users. In my database I have the questions, user identifiers and their answer scores for the question.

Using the Matrix visual, I'm able to get everything to show correctly apart from the actual answer score values, like this:

table.PNG

I need the score values to be displayed as they are in the database, with no summarization. However it appears that there is no option to select 'do not summarize' for the values in the Matrix visual as there is in other visuals (such as a regular Table):

count.PNG

The issue with this is it is enforcing some sort of calcualtion on the answer scores (sum, count, average etc.) which means they're not accurate. Is there any way to disable summarization?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
edejes2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hello @purplehaze,

If you attached an image its not available, now if you are using direct mode. I recommend you to check your data type your source If this one it's numeric that's the reason your data is being aggregated.

Regards!

ED

Hi @edejes2

Thanks for your reply, I added the images to my public album and added them - can see them this end so probably user error somewhere...

Data is being imported rather than DirectQuery if that's what you're referring to?

The behaviour I'm seeing is with the data type set to whole number for data type and format. I've got the category set to Uncategorized and I've set the Default Summarization to 'Don't summarize'. With these settings, there's no don't summarize option. I've had a play with other datatypes etc and all seem to enforce summarization on the Matrix table values field.

Thanks,

PH

Hi @purplehaze

I not sure if you already did this on you PBIX for those specific fields.

sum.jpg

Regards!

ED

Hi @edejes2

Thanks for the reply, yes had tried your suggestion on the data fields. The issue is the Matrix visual seems to enforce some sort of summarization still.

Luckily, I found a solution which was to select 'Average' for the values. As there was only 1 value per question per user, it shows the correct value. I can see this being a potential issue in other cases though, maybe from a performance perspective if there's unnecesscary data processing happening? Would be good to see a don't summarize option enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.