Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove special character ";" from text format column and convert the column to number.

Hi

I have a text format column with values like:
120;
34;
150; etc.

I need to get rid of the ";" and then divide the number by 100. So at the end the numbers should look like this:

I made a new column with SUBSTITUTE(TABLE, ";", "") and now I have only numbers but this is still text format, can't change it to whole number or decimal number without the whole new column going #ERROR.

I can't divide a text format with 100. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can do this more easily in the query editor.  Use Replace Values and put ; in the top box and leave the bottom box empty.  Then change it to a number type, and use the button on the Transform tab to divide by 100.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

You need to double check all the values in the new column so as to make sure that there is no text somewhere (e.g. a letter or a symbol).

Also make sure that there no leading and trailing space so i suggest you use the TRIM function as well.

e.g. TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(TABLE, ";", ""))

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That's an odd error to see for a Replace Values step.  Can you provide some example/mock data (with a link or as a table for copy/paste) so a specific solution can be suggested?

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it was weird, I couldn't even delete columns or do anything, so I just saved the file and reopened it and now it works :O. Thank you for the help

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can do this more easily in the query editor.  Use Replace Values and put ; in the top box and leave the bottom box empty.  Then change it to a number type, and use the button on the Transform tab to divide by 100.

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the answer. Actually I tried that too but for some reason it gives me error:
Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table.
I don't understand why, i right clicked on the correct column name and chose Replace Values...
I even copied a value to notepad and then copied the ; symbol from there but still same result.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.