Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mkpado
Helper I
Helper I

Remove or Rename Data Field in Excel Query

I am currently running into a query error whenever I need to remove or rename a a data feild in the source Excel file that I am querying from Power BI Desktop. For Example: 

I create a query between Power BI and an Excel file "Table 1" with 3 data feilds "Field 1", "Field 2" and "Field 3".

If I want to remove a data field - i.e. delete "Field 2" from the source file ("Table 1") I recive an error when I try to refresh the query. Furthermore, if I remane a field (e.g. "Field 2" to "Field 4") I also recive an error when I try to refresh the query. 

From what I can tell the query is looking for the deleted or renamed data field and when it cant find the data field it throws back an error. Is there any querying method that allows the freedom to remove and / or rename data fields in a source file without breaking the original query?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Depending on your query code, you may use parameter missingField, with available values and applicable functions below:

missingField Values.pngmissingField.png

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Depending on your query code, you may use parameter missingField, with available values and applicable functions below:

missingField Values.pngmissingField.png

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.