Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Niels_NL
Helper I
Helper I

Remove leading zero's from a string

Hey guys,

the situation is as follows: I have a set of values (string-type) that can either contain a number or the value 'AFW' (i.e.: unknown data). However, some numbers have leading zero's at the front (example: 0043526). I'd like to have those leading zero's removed, but still want the data-type to be a string considering I also still have the 'AFW'-values.

Test-table, original situation:

Test-table, desired situation:

Does anyone know any methods on how to get this done without modifying the original dataset (I only got this data exported into PowerBI Desktop, so I cannot edit this in Excel e.g.)?

Thanks,

~ Niels

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

You could try something like this. This code will first check if the string can be converted into a number - if it can't then it will just return the string else it will convert the string to a number (removing leading zero's) and then turn the number back into a string.

NumberXNoLeadingZero = 
IF(
	ISERROR( VALUE( 'Table'[NumberX] ) ),
	'Table'[NumberX],
	CONCATENATE( VALUE('Table'[NumberX]), "" )
)
/sdjensen

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the powerQuery Editor

Add Column -> Custom Column

= try Number.From([NumberX]) otherwise [NumberX]

Note : NumberX is name of the text type column which has leading zeros. 

sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

You could try something like this. This code will first check if the string can be converted into a number - if it can't then it will just return the string else it will convert the string to a number (removing leading zero's) and then turn the number back into a string.

NumberXNoLeadingZero = 
IF(
	ISERROR( VALUE( 'Table'[NumberX] ) ),
	'Table'[NumberX],
	CONCATENATE( VALUE('Table'[NumberX]), "" )
)
/sdjensen
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Sdjensen,

I have a similar issue to the one posted, but it has to do with removing leading zeros from each octet of an IP address. For example, I am getting IP address information int the following format:

and I need to convert it to:

How can I modify your example to get the result desired?

Thank you,

Hi @Anonymous,

I am sorry, but I haven't seen your question until now - did you solve it?

I the Query Editor I would use the Split by delimiter '.' into 4 columns and then for each column remote the leeding 0's and then Concatenate the 4 columns back into one column.

/sdjensen

Hi,

@sdjensen HELP PLEASE... Do you just add this to the Query Editor? I can't get it to work.

Thanks,

M

@mo9k8 - It is a DAX formula, so you have to add it as a calculation.

/sdjensen

@sdjensen Perfect!

@sdjensen Thanks, this worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.