Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baatch
Helper I
Helper I

Remove last occurence of specific character?

Hi

Wondering if anybody here can help me out in, I'm trying to trim the a column so that the last occurrence of a specific character is removed. The example is: domain.com/OU/OU2/OU3/User1

I want to remove the last part /User1

Is it possible?

/Alx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@baatch

You can use the Split Column function in Query Editor to get your expected result. Assuming we have a table as below. Select the column and click split column by delimiter.

Remove last occurence of specific character_1.jpg

Select custom delimiter / as below. At last you only need to delete the unnecessary Column.2.

Remove last occurence of specific character_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@baatch

You can use the Split Column function in Query Editor to get your expected result. Assuming we have a table as below. Select the column and click split column by delimiter.

Remove last occurence of specific character_1.jpg

Select custom delimiter / as below. At last you only need to delete the unnecessary Column.2.

Remove last occurence of specific character_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you  @v-haibl-msft !!!

That was so easy Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

There is a function Text.PositionOf(input, "\", Occurrence.Last) that will return the position of the last instance.  From there you can trim it off with Text.Start(input, lengthFromAboveFormula)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Sorry Matt, I'm a litte new to this.

Would it be possible to have a more detailed answer?

I found out how I achive what I want to do in Excel with this formula: =LEFT([canonicalName],FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE([canonicalName],"/","@",LEN([canonicalName])-LEN(SUBSTITUTE([canonicalName],"/",""))))-1)

But when I try it in PowerBI as a new Column it does not work and says: "Expression.Error: The name 'LEFT' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly."

Any ideas?

You can't use Excel formulas when you get data in Power Query.  Check out my demo workbook.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qacnvgy522fl7i0/Position%20of%20Last.pbix?dl=0

Go to edit queries to see what I did.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.