Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcVndrhgn
Helper I
Helper I

Remove gateway from cluster

Hello,

For multiple reasons we have to remove a gateway from one of our clusters.

After looking on the Net, I found this article www.fourmoo.com/2018/10/16/power-bi-gateway-how-to-remove-a-gateway-instance-from-the-gateway-cluste... 

The thing that is bugging me is that in our case, the gateway that we want to remove is marked as the Primary Instance. (isanchorgateway)

If I remove the first server, will another one be the Primary Instance automatically or do I need to do some other steps before (or after) removing it ?

Are there any risks of loosing created data sources ?

The cluster is heavily used so I have to be sure the removal would be totally transparent for the users.

Did anyone already tried this or has any experience with this kind of situation ?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MarcVndrhgn ,

You should  remove other gateway instances from this cluster before removing the primary gateway. But before you removing the primary gateway , you should  install a new gateway  and enter the recovery key to restore, or take over an on-premises data gateway. Then you can unistall the original primary gateway without losing  all the connections of data sources .

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot remove the anchor member first. You need to remove all other cluster members one by one before as a last step you can remove the anchor member (which also removes the entire gateway and all the connection data)

You need to reassign the anchor member if you want to keep the gateway but want to kick out the current anchor.  In the gateway configuration program on a new member you can choose to recover a gateway, and there you specify that you want to recover the primary gateway member. Once you do that successfully the old primary member can simply be decommissioned as it is no longer registered in Azure.

@lbendlin , thank you for your answer.

We will try  adding a new server to the cluster and do the recovery.

Thanks

Hi @MarcVndrhgn ,

You should  remove other gateway instances from this cluster before removing the primary gateway. But before you removing the primary gateway , you should  install a new gateway  and enter the recovery key to restore, or take over an on-premises data gateway. Then you can unistall the original primary gateway without losing  all the connections of data sources .

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thank you @v-deddai1-msft for your answer.
We will try that as soon as we are permitted to do it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors