Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

schwinnen
Helper V
Helper V

Remove fields on View Records

I have a bar chart with about 30 bars on it.  I want my customer to be able to click on a bar and see the data.  They can do this by right-clicking and selecting "view records".  This is a fantastic feature.  However, I want to elimante some of the fields shown when I click on "view records"  They don't need to see all the fields, particularly my calculated fields.  It looks like the user can remove any fields they want but if you click back to the report and then click "view records" again, you have to remove those fields again.  Is there a way to have the user click on "view records" and have them only see the fields you want them to see?  Or is there another workaround that would allow a user to only see the data I want them to see?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

They will be able to see whatever is in the table, but if there are other fields in your data you don't want them to see, right-click on those fields in the right hand pane where tables/fields are, and HIDE those fields.

It is good practice to hide everything that isn't necessary to prevent things from being shown you don't want, or to just make it easier to use for the end consumer of the report.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

They will be able to see whatever is in the table, but if there are other fields in your data you don't want them to see, right-click on those fields in the right hand pane where tables/fields are, and HIDE those fields.

It is good practice to hide everything that isn't necessary to prevent things from being shown you don't want, or to just make it easier to use for the end consumer of the report.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

That definitely helps with removing fields I don't want them to see so I appreciate the help there.  However, there doesn't seem to be a way to add fields that are not there.  There are certain fields that are not displayed and I am not sure why.  

Those fields would have likely been removed in the Power Query editor before loading into Power BI's data model.

I'm not sure how that would work.  I am still able to use those fields in my reports and I didn't remove any fields when I loaded the data.

I'd need to see your PBIX file to try and understand what exactly you are seeing then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.