Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove duplicates not working.. Can't create relationship

Hello,

I have a dataset with customer and a discount structure for that customer per part. I created a concatenate in the edit query screen of the customer, and there are a couple duplicates. Highlighted the Concatenate column, and clicked remove duplicates.

Tried creating a relationship and it didn't work. Created a summary table of the concatenate and COUNTROWS, and lo and behold there are a handful that have a count of two. Why is this happening?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-sihou-msft

Yes, I double and triple checked. Everything was done the same way as in my example. Must be an error due to such a large data set.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't need to check duplicates, I need the query to filter them out properly so I can create a many-to-one relationship that doesn't return an error and mess up the scheduled refresh every time another duplicate is entered on the list.

The solution that has worked for me:

in the query editor, select your column that you want to be unique and then:

1) Click on the "Transform" tab in the ribbon, click on the "Format" button, and then select "UPPERCASE" or "lowercase"

2) make sure the column is still selected, then click on the "Home" Tab, and then click on the "Remove rows" button, then select "Remove Blank Rows"

3) make sure the column is still selected, then click on the "Home" Tab, and then click on the "Remove rows" button, then select "Remove Errors"

4) Finally, click on Remove Duplicates button.

So far, these steps have always worked for me!

What if it's a concatenated calculated column which you can't see in Power Query Editor?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.