Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove duplicates from other columns

Hi,

I have 5 columns of email addresses and I want to remove any entries from columns 1 and 2 that also appear in columns 3, 4 and 5.

i.e.

check if any entries in column 1 are repeated in column 3, 4 or 5. If so, remove them from column 1.

check if any entries in column 2 are repeated in column 3, 4 or 5. If so, remove them from column 2.

Is this possible?

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this is possible.

The easiest way (in my opinion) is open up the Advanced Editor in the Power Query Editor, then add in a Replace Value step at the bottom of all your steps. e.g.

#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Promoted Headers",each [Column3],"",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column1"})

#"Replaced Value" is the name of your step - change this to #"Replaced Value1" etc. for all the extra steps you need to add

#"Promoted Headers: is the name of the step before this one in my code - change this name to the last step name in your code.

[Column3] is your lookup column

"Column1" is the column you are replacing the value of

The above replaces Column1 value to "" (or blank) if Column3 has the same value as Column1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors