Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

N_R_000
Helper I
Helper I

Remove dataset in BI Desktop when using DirectQuery (Dec 2020 release)

I've been building reports using published datasets as my data source since the Dec 2020 release, but I'm now struggling to remove a dataset from a desktop build that I no longer need in the report; any clue on how I can do this? 

To clarify here's the process: 

1) Build a data model, publish to service as 'MyDataset1' and another as 'MyDataset2'. 

2) Create a new report and load in those 2 datasets using the new 'DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis services'.

3) Decide I don't want Dataset2 in my report but can't find the delete option!

Thanks in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @N_R_000 ,

In the latest version, you can delete DirectQuery connections to Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services. To do so, go to the Data Source Settings dialog, which you can find in the dropdown for “Transform data”.

deleting_dq_connections_1.png

In the Data source settings dialog, right click on the DirectQuery connection you’d like to delete:

deleting_dq_connections_2.png

Please note that this does not reverse the action of adding a local model. This action deletes the DirectQuery connection, and all the tables and fields associated with that connection.

Reference: Power BI February 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @N_R_000 ,

In the latest version, you can delete DirectQuery connections to Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services. To do so, go to the Data Source Settings dialog, which you can find in the dropdown for “Transform data”.

deleting_dq_connections_1.png

In the Data source settings dialog, right click on the DirectQuery connection you’d like to delete:

deleting_dq_connections_2.png

Please note that this does not reverse the action of adding a local model. This action deletes the DirectQuery connection, and all the tables and fields associated with that connection.

Reference: Power BI February 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@N_R_000 I think at this point you cannot delete dataset2 and I'm sure this is going to improve in future releases.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.