Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

k_mathana
Helper II
Helper II

Remove Leading Zero in a Text String

Hi There,

I have scenario where I need to remove leading zero in between the string, Could you please kindly look into and solve?
Current Text
25-EX000250B-2A
7-LMC045600A-A000045B
256-Z00256-00021A
Expected Result
25-EX250B-2A
7-LMC45600A-A45B
256-Z256-21A

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@k_mathana , you might want to try

let
    fn = (txt as text) =>
    let
        #"First 0" = Text.PositionOf(txt, "0"),
        #"Last Number" = Text.PositionOfAny(txt, {"0".."9"}, Occurrence.Last),
        #"Dropped Leading 0" = if #"First 0" = -1 then txt else Text.Range(txt, 0, #"First 0") & Text.From(Number.From(Text.Remove(txt, {"A".."Z", "a".."z"}))) & Text.Range(txt, #"Last Number"+1)
    in
        #"Dropped Leading 0",

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjLVdY0wMDAwMjVw0jVyVIrViVYy1/XxdTYwMTUzMHDUdQRKAtlOYBkjUzPdKJBiM12QHkOg+lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Unprocessed = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Processed", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(Text.Split([Unprocessed], "-"), fn), "-"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Screenshot 2021-03-31 094252.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@k_mathana - I see @CNENFRNL has already replied, but I had started working on this so thought I would post.

This looks to be a similar approach.

The function fnRemoveLeadingZeros splits the text whenever there is a transition from non-digit to "0", then trims leading zeros from the resulting substrings and joins back together.

let
    fnRemoveLeadingZeros =
      (string as text) =>
        let
          Split = Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition ( each not List.Contains({"0".."9"},_), {"0"})(string),
          TrimZeros = List.Transform(Split, each Text.TrimStart(_,"0") ),
          Join = Text.Combine(TrimZeros)
        in Join,
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjLVdY0wMDAwMjVw0jVyVIrViVYy1/XxdTYwMTUzMHDUdQRKAtlOYBkjUzPdKJBiM12QHkOg+lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Input = _t]),
    AddOutput = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Output", each fnRemoveLeadingZeros([Input]), type text )
in
    AddOutput

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @k_mathana 

Sure, here is a PBIX containing the queries but split up so that the function is separate from the source data.

• fnRemoveLeadingZeros is a function that takes a text string and removes the leading zeros as per your requirements.
  • ExcelSource is a query that loads a table from an Excel file. At the moment it is pointing to an Excel file on my local drive.
  • FinalTable takes ExcelSource and adds a column using fnRemoveLeadingZeros.

Actually, you could just copy the function fnRemoveLeadingZeros into Power Query in your PBIX file and use it to add a column applying this function, using Add Column > Invoke Custom Function.

Hopefully that helps apply the function in your scenario.

Regards,

Owen

OwenAuger_0-1617255066368.png

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

7 REPLIES 7
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@k_mathana - I see @CNENFRNL has already replied, but I had started working on this so thought I would post.

This looks to be a similar approach.

The function fnRemoveLeadingZeros splits the text whenever there is a transition from non-digit to "0", then trims leading zeros from the resulting substrings and joins back together.

let
    fnRemoveLeadingZeros =
      (string as text) =>
        let
          Split = Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition ( each not List.Contains({"0".."9"},_), {"0"})(string),
          TrimZeros = List.Transform(Split, each Text.TrimStart(_,"0") ),
          Join = Text.Combine(TrimZeros)
        in Join,
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjLVdY0wMDAwMjVw0jVyVIrViVYy1/XxdTYwMTUzMHDUdQRKAtlOYBkjUzPdKJBiM12QHkOg+lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Input = _t]),
    AddOutput = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Output", each fnRemoveLeadingZeros([Input]), type text )
in
    AddOutput

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hey @OwenAuger ,

love the inline function approach.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Dear @OwenAuger, Thanks a lot for solution given, When I try to apply this in Excel Table, I am getting some error, Could you please kindly guide me the how to change the source to excel table instead of Json Documen.

Hi @k_mathana 

Sure, here is a PBIX containing the queries but split up so that the function is separate from the source data.

• fnRemoveLeadingZeros is a function that takes a text string and removes the leading zeros as per your requirements.
  • ExcelSource is a query that loads a table from an Excel file. At the moment it is pointing to an Excel file on my local drive.
  • FinalTable takes ExcelSource and adds a column using fnRemoveLeadingZeros.

Actually, you could just copy the function fnRemoveLeadingZeros into Power Query in your PBIX file and use it to add a column applying this function, using Add Column > Invoke Custom Function.

Hopefully that helps apply the function in your scenario.

Regards,

Owen

OwenAuger_0-1617255066368.png

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger Thank you so much for your time, appriciated. 

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@k_mathana , you might want to try

let
    fn = (txt as text) =>
    let
        #"First 0" = Text.PositionOf(txt, "0"),
        #"Last Number" = Text.PositionOfAny(txt, {"0".."9"}, Occurrence.Last),
        #"Dropped Leading 0" = if #"First 0" = -1 then txt else Text.Range(txt, 0, #"First 0") & Text.From(Number.From(Text.Remove(txt, {"A".."Z", "a".."z"}))) & Text.Range(txt, #"Last Number"+1)
    in
        #"Dropped Leading 0",

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjLVdY0wMDAwMjVw0jVyVIrViVYy1/XxdTYwMTUzMHDUdQRKAtlOYBkjUzPdKJBiM12QHkOg+lgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Unprocessed = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Processed", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(Text.Split([Unprocessed], "-"), fn), "-"))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Screenshot 2021-03-31 094252.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Dear  @CNENFRNL,
Thanks a lot for the solution given, I was trying to apply this in excel table but I couldn't do, How would I apply this in the excel table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.