Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Remove Horizontal Scroll Bars?

Is it possible to prevent Power BI adding horizontal scroll bars to a chart?  I really hate the scroll bars.  I want to put the items on the X axis and have them all visible - just like in Excel.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your reply.  What threw me was I was watching this video from @sqldusty and at 29:40 min/sec into the video, I saw a chart that fit everything on the axis without a scroll bar.  I had never seen that before as all of mine are always impacted by a scroll bar.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TF4Hu-uaMg

What I now understand is that when you select continuous axis, it DOES fit everything.  When you select categorical it adds a scroll bar (when there are "too many" data points).

My problem is I am using Labels for my week dates in the format YYWW.  Now I know what I am looking for, I have swaped these labels to the week ending date and changed the chart to continuous - and now it works as I would like. 🙂

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
KS_learner
Frequent Visitor

Was your X axis now Week 1, Week 2 etc.. or just dates? Is there any way to prevent the scroll bar for categorical data?

I have a combination of Month & Working day.. I'm comparing data for mulitple months in one chart so have to create a field like this.

kranthi82
Helper I
Helper I

@MattAllington Hi Matt, have you found the way to fit the data in line chart just like in excel despite the resolution or using other methods? Please share if you have found a way, thanks.

8Vanessa8

Hi all, 

I am facing a similar problem as I would like all my data to be visible without having to use the scroll bar. Unfortunately, in my case I am not using dates on the X-axis but I am using a categorical variable which lists locations. Does anybody have another idea how to solve this issue when you can't transform the variable into a continous variable?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Matt

As I understand it the Power BI canvas is fixed depending on the resolution of your screen so a scroll bar will appear if the data cannot fit unto you screen. Some elements will allow you to resize the font giving you the opportunity to fit it on the screen but not all and if they don't you cannot remove the scroll bars. 

I might be wrong but that is how I understand it.

Ásgeir

Thanks for your reply.  What threw me was I was watching this video from @sqldusty and at 29:40 min/sec into the video, I saw a chart that fit everything on the axis without a scroll bar.  I had never seen that before as all of mine are always impacted by a scroll bar.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TF4Hu-uaMg

What I now understand is that when you select continuous axis, it DOES fit everything.  When you select categorical it adds a scroll bar (when there are "too many" data points).

My problem is I am using Labels for my week dates in the format YYWW.  Now I know what I am looking for, I have swaped these labels to the week ending date and changed the chart to continuous - and now it works as I would like. 🙂

Estimados:
Necesito eliminar la barra de desplazamiento (Scroll bar) del eje x en un gráfico de barras. Es posible hacerlo? 
Por otro lado, en el caso de los gráficos de líneas, necesito hacer lo mismo. Para ello paso el eje x de categórico a continuo. Al hacerlo, se elimina la barra pero los períodos del eje x se muestran como trimestrales. Es decir, en vez de mostrar enero 2020, febrero 2020, marzo 2020, abril 2020 muestra enero 2020 y abril 2020. Hay forma de hacer que muestre todos los meses?
Muchas gracias!

I have this graph that displaying 12 month rolling average from 2009 to current (2019 Jan).

Left graph:

If I choose Calendar[Year] and Calendar[Month] in x axis, then the last month is current month (Jan 2019), however then it has scroll bar and can't fit into the small region where I wanted it to be. And in the format--x-axis, there is no selection on continuous or categorical to choose.

Right Graph:

If I choose Calendar[Date] in x axis, and hierarchy year and month, yes I can choose continuous and make it without scrollbar, however my problem is then the x axis will show extra month beyond today's date. It has these extra invalid datapoints for 2019 Feb, 2019 March etc.

x axis.JPG

I just want have something like ont he right graph, but not showing the invalid rolling average datapoints after current month.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Hey, have you found solution for this?

I have a Bunch of time series data, in line chart i want to remove the scroll bar, I cannot able to, set continuos state from categorial. It automatically comes back to categorial. Please help me to solve this.

Thanks

Please,

have you find a soluttion?

Tks

I was also facing the same issue. When I checked the data type of my time column in Power BI, it was text type. When I changed the data type to Date/Time and saved it, Now I am able to change the type to continuous.

Steps to change data type:

Go to Data tab on the left ribbon -> select time column in the table -> Go to the Modelling tab on the menu bar -> change datatype to Date/Time

If I use MonthNumber, finally I could see the "Type" option for X axis, however i run into the same problem that it doesn't allow me to change it to continuous. It always go back to categorical. Thus I still have the scroll bar problem.

Just want to say "Thank you" to Matt. This was driving me NUTS. I had one line chart that I simply could not get it to display all x axis data without a scroll bar.

It was a pain, but I ended up changing my column of "Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, etc, data points to actual dates. Re-uploaded the data, changed the X-axis to continuous and WALAH!  This really should not be this complicated to adjust. 

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.