Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

Remove Duplicates with Multiple Conditions

I have a table that currently has 10.8 million rows and yesterday 11k rows were added. It is a record of inventory status for each item, in each warehouse, in each division only if that item currently has inventory available in that warehouse. Otherwise, no record is written for that item on that warehouse that day. For most purposes, the latest date for each unique combination of item and warehouse is needed. I've seen a couple of faulty approaches (remove duplicates in Power Query, filter max date on the date column*) in our existing datasets and hoping for some ideas on a better one, taking into account the size of the table. 

Here's a simplified version of the data and what the end result needs to look like. The real data has many more columns and obviously, many more rows. 

DivisionWarehouseItem DateOH QtyOH Value
1A12345 8/1/2022 110
1B12345 8/1/2022 220
2C12345 8/1/2022 330
2C12345 8/10/2022 10100
1A54321 8/12/2022 101000
1A54321 8/14/2022 1100
1A54321 8/13/2022 1100

DivisionWarehouseItemDateOH QtyOH Value
1A12345 8/1/2022 110
1B12345 8/1/2022 220
2C12345 8/10/2022 10100
1A54321 8/14/2022 1100

*In case anyone is curious: according to everything I've read, Remove Duplicates will not necessarily leave the most recent record, even if the dataset is sorted. However, the other problem with 10 million records and thousands of unique item + warehouse combinations is that it seems to be very difficult computationally and generally fails to refresh when uploaded to the service. Doing the max date filter without any conditions on the item and warehouse fields appears to have selected only rows that have yesterday's date. Thus in the table above, it would only return the very last record for item 54321 in warehouse A for 8/14. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

Here's the best solution I've come up with. I put in a custom SQL query in the Get Data>SQL Server dialog (under Advanced), and this is the query:

select item, warehouse, max(date) as enddt FROM [database].[table] where date>= '2022-01-01' group by item, warehouse order by item, warehouse

This gives me a query that is only 3 columns, the Item, the Warehouse, and the Date. I then concatenated these into a single column using Merge Columns (Warehouse-Item-Date). In order to do this, I did have to change the Date column to Text first. I also limited the date being after 1/1/2022 in this case but it might be different in different cases.

Then in a second query, I pulled in all the columns I wanted from that table, and added a custom column that matched my merged column from the first query (Warehouse-Item-Date). Then going back to the first query, I did a Left Outer Join matching the two columns, so that I was pulling in only the matching rows from query 2. Thus I ended up with only the last entry for each item in each warehouse, and was able to pull in the additional columns.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Xaraja
Helper II
Helper II

Here's the best solution I've come up with. I put in a custom SQL query in the Get Data>SQL Server dialog (under Advanced), and this is the query:

select item, warehouse, max(date) as enddt FROM [database].[table] where date>= '2022-01-01' group by item, warehouse order by item, warehouse

This gives me a query that is only 3 columns, the Item, the Warehouse, and the Date. I then concatenated these into a single column using Merge Columns (Warehouse-Item-Date). In order to do this, I did have to change the Date column to Text first. I also limited the date being after 1/1/2022 in this case but it might be different in different cases.

Then in a second query, I pulled in all the columns I wanted from that table, and added a custom column that matched my merged column from the first query (Warehouse-Item-Date). Then going back to the first query, I did a Left Outer Join matching the two columns, so that I was pulling in only the matching rows from query 2. Thus I ended up with only the last entry for each item in each warehouse, and was able to pull in the additional columns.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try this M code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dc/BCcAwCAXQXTwnoF8DvbYdI2S3ztLJGpNDC42HLyIP1FpJKNHeI1Ar99U7lsxbBgM+9jC1NOURy5EpvT1jqZ5ICn+38yjvfr+0mEKmxcKG2H5vhVRXtD0=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Division = _t, Warehouse = _t, Item = _t, Date = _t, #"OH Qty" = _t, #"OH Value" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Division", Int64.Type}, {"Warehouse", type text}, {"Item", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"OH Qty", Int64.Type}, {"OH Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Division", "Warehouse", "Item"}, {{"Count", each Table.Max(_,"Date")}}),
    #"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Count", {"Date", "OH Qty", "OH Value"}, {"Date", "OH Qty", "OH Value"})
in
    #"Expanded Count"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

I think this might work for a smaller table, but it took about 40 minutes to do the group by and I haven't yet gotten the expand part to load. Based on previous experience I think that refreshes will fail if I upload that to the service. 

I am investigating using a more detailed SQL query to pull in the data from the SQL Server rather than trying to do all the transformations in Power Query. If it works I will post my solution.

Thanks, I follow your blog and I have read that one a few times! I don't think it fits my situation, though, as I am not trying to sum anything. I basically need to filter so that I have unique values of the warehouse, item and date, with the filter criteria being that latest date. Once that is done, various visuals need to be able to use the columns from those rows individually, not as measures necessarily. For example, one of the columns I didn't include in my simplified example above is companyrank. All items have a companyrank, so in a table sometimes the companyrank is displayed, not as a calculation but as a piece of data (I can't recall if it's text but it mights as well be).

Also I'm not sure about the wisdom of trying to manipulate 10.8 million rows in DAX? Especially as the table is growing every day. Wouldn't that run into performance issues also? Possibly even at the moment when the end user is trying to interact with the visuals, as opposed to when I refresh the dataset, right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.