Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerQueryFTW
Frequent Visitor

Remove Duplicates when the key ID's fall within the same date ranges

I have a table that tracks advertising campaigns. 

The table has a key ID column, and then campaign start and end dates.  Is there a way to identify duplicate IDs that are within the same start and end dates using either DAX or Power Query?  

example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerQueryFTW

You could create calculated columns with DAX

min start date =
CALCULATE (
    MIN ( [start date] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Sheet1 ),
        [keyid] = EARLIER ( [keyid] )
            && [start date] <= EARLIER ( Sheet1[end date] )
            && [end date] >= EARLIER ( [start date] )
    )
)

max end date =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( [end date] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Sheet1 ),
        [keyid] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[keyid] )
    )
)

count of dicuplates =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Sheet1[keyid] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[keyid] ),
        [min start date] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[min start date] )
            && [max end date] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[max end date] )
    )
)

if true = IF([count of dicuplates]>1,"TRUE","FLASE")

2.png

Or measures

min start date1 = CALCULATE(MIN([start date]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[keyid]=MAX([keyid])&&[start date]<=MAX(Sheet1[end date])&&[end date]>=MAX([start date])))

max end date1 = CALCULATE(MAX([end date]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[keyid]=MAX(Sheet1[keyid])&&[start date]<=MAX(Sheet1[end date])&&[end date]>=MAX([start date])))

count of dicuplates1 = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[keyid]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[keyid]),[min start date]=MAX(Sheet1[min start date])&&[max end date]=MAX(Sheet1[max end date])))

if true1 = IF(MAX([count of dicuplates])>1,"TRUE","FLASE")

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerQueryFTW

You could create calculated columns with DAX

min start date =
CALCULATE (
    MIN ( [start date] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Sheet1 ),
        [keyid] = EARLIER ( [keyid] )
    )
)

max end date =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( [end date] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( Sheet1 ),
        [keyid] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[keyid] )
    )
)

count of dicuplates =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Sheet1[keyid] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( Sheet1, Sheet1[keyid] ),
        [min start date] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[min start date] )
            && [max end date] = EARLIER ( Sheet1[max end date] )
    )
)

if true = IF([count of dicuplates]>1,"TRUE","FLASE")

2.png

Or measures

min start date1 = CALCULATE(MIN([start date]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[keyid]=MAX([keyid])&&[start date]<=MAX(Sheet1[end date])&&[end date]>=MAX([start date])))

max end date1 = CALCULATE(MAX([end date]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[keyid]=MAX(Sheet1[keyid])&&[start date]<=MAX(Sheet1[end date])&&[end date]>=MAX([start date])))

count of dicuplates1 = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[keyid]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[keyid]),[min start date]=MAX(Sheet1[min start date])&&[max end date]=MAX(Sheet1[max end date])))

if true1 = IF(MAX([count of dicuplates])>1,"TRUE","FLASE")

Best Regards

Maggie

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PowerQueryFTW you can use group by function in power query. use 3 field to group by (Key ID, Start Date and End Date)

- add count calculation

- add all rows 

expand all rows to get your table, and count calculation has value more than 1 , it means there are duplicates and also it will show # of duplicates. here is quick screen shot of group by on one of  sample table and you can use similar for your table

group by.PNG

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

This would only show duplicates if there were exactly matching dates.  Row 2 and row 4 would not show as duplicates in your solution even though 6/15 is within 6/1 and 6/30

@PowerQueryFTW you are correct, it will give you duplicate where all these 3 values matches, I misundersood your question. If you can share sample data it wil help to put together some solution for you.

Thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I dont know how to share a file on here.  Were you able to see the photo of the data i attached to the original message?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.