Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sabeensp
Helper IV
Helper IV

Remove Duplicates in GRID

Hello,

I have a very simple visual questions. I'm using Grid to show data. WHich has over 20 columns, but I only need to insert a break on first column and do not want to repeat the value.

2019-04-26_15-14-29.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @sabeensp ,

Potential workaround is shown here if you are able to use the Table visual.

See last table for final  result requestedSee last table for final result requested

You need to add an index to your table and then add a column  with this code:

Previous Value = 

var thisColumn1 =  'DataColumns'[column1]

var thisIndex= 'DataColumns'[Index]

var thisPrevIndex = CALCULATE(

MAX('DataColumns'[Index])

,FILTER(ALL('DataColumns')

,'DataColumns'[column1] = thisColumn1 && 'DataColumns'[Index] < thisIndex

)

)

var thePreviousValue = CALCULATE(

MAX('DataColumns'[column1])

,'DataColumns'[column1] = thisColumn1 && 'DataColumns'[Index] = thisPrevIndex

)

)
 VAR  displayValue =   
                            IF ( 'DataColumns'[Index] <>  0   && thePreviousValue = thisColumn1   , BLANK(), thisColumn1 ) 

return

displayValue

Then create a measure to use the conditional fomatting for the column:

colorKPI = SWITCH( TRUE()
 , MAX (DataColumns[column1] ) = MAX (DataColumns[Previous Value]), "#000000", "#FFFFFF")

Finally , use both field fomratting and conditional formatting to format the colours accordingly.

I have uploaded the file also for you to see.

Note , when you sort by the other columns the order fo Column1 obiviously changes  and this may not be an acceptable solution for you, however it is a potential workaround.

SAMPLE ON DROPBOX

Thanks, 
Maria

View solution in original post

Hi @sabeensp ,

You could submit your idea in Power BI ideas Froum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Additional workaround for your requirement, you may could try Matrix in Power BI like below.

You could drag column1 and column2 in Row field and turn off the stepped layout of the Row headers. 

Capture.PNG

Hope this can help you!

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What comes immediatley to mind is removing duplicates in the query editor under 'Remove Rows'. 

@AnonymousThat would affect all the report, I just need to remove from this visual. Is there a way?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the visual you shared what you want your end product to look like or is that what is currently being displayed? I am uncertain what exactly your end product should look like. 

@AnonymousEnd product shouodl like the one on the right, where COL1 values are not repeating. SO, if COL1 has value A 20 times, I would like to see A only once and COl2 values for each of other 19 rows to show

2019-04-26_15-14-29.png

Hi,

I don't think that is possible.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

I think we should make a recommendation to MSFT.

@Ashish_Mathur wrote:

Hi,

I don't think that is possible.

Hi @sabeensp ,

You could submit your idea in Power BI ideas Froum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Additional workaround for your requirement, you may could try Matrix in Power BI like below.

You could drag column1 and column2 in Row field and turn off the stepped layout of the Row headers. 

Capture.PNG

Hope this can help you!

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @sabeensp ,

Potential workaround is shown here if you are able to use the Table visual.

See last table for final  result requestedSee last table for final result requested

You need to add an index to your table and then add a column  with this code:

Previous Value = 

var thisColumn1 =  'DataColumns'[column1]

var thisIndex= 'DataColumns'[Index]

var thisPrevIndex = CALCULATE(

MAX('DataColumns'[Index])

,'DataColumns'[column1] = thisColumn1 && 'DataColumns'[Index] < thisIndex

)

)

var thePreviousValue = CALCULATE(

MAX('DataColumns'[column1])

,'DataColumns'[column1] = thisColumn1 && 'DataColumns'[Index] = thisPrevIndex

)

)
 VAR  displayValue =   
                            IF ( 'DataColumns'[Index] <>  0   && thePreviousValue = thisColumn1   , BLANK(), thisColumn1 ) 

return

displayValue

Then create a measure to use the conditional fomatting for the column:

colorKPI = SWITCH( TRUE()
 , MAX (DataColumns[column1] ) = MAX (DataColumns[Previous Value]), "#000000", "#FFFFFF")

Finally , use both field fomratting and conditional formatting to format the colours accordingly.

I have uploaded the file also for you to see.

Note , when you sort by the other columns the order fo Column1 obiviously changes  and this may not be an acceptable solution for you, however it is a potential workaround.

SAMPLE ON DROPBOX

Thanks, 
Maria

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I tried throwing your sample data into a matrix, turning off the stepped rows but the matrix is automatically removing the duplicates. I'll do some research and see if I can find a solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.