Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s15
Helper III
Helper III

Remotely connect to data source on Azure VM SQL Server

Hi all,

I have completed building simple data warehouse running on an Azure VM with SQL Server. The connection string is not intended to be published over the Internet. From the VM, I can use Power BI Desktop to connect to the data source. However, this requires me to RDP to the VM. I'd like to know if I can use Power BI Desktop on laptop to connect to my data source. I thought I would have to install Power BI On-premises data gateway to import data source to Power BI service then use Power BI Desktop to pull out the data. Is this technically possible?

Your recommendation is always appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @s15

If you have your SQL Server on a VM in Azure or On-Premise it will be the same way in which you connect, either directly or via for example a VPN into Azure. By doing it in this way you can then connect Directly with Power BI Desktop and either import the data into your Power BI Desktop, or use DirectQuery.

Then once you have done either import or DirectQuery, you can then install and configure the On-Premise Gateway on your Azure SQL VM. This will then allow you to refresh the data (with either the Import Mode, or DirectQuery)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Do you recommend to use Azure VPN Gateway (e.g. Point-to-Site) to allow Power BI Desktop to connect to database server in a VPN-ed network?

What I'm understanding from Power BI Gateway is that it is a tunnel which translates the local virtual machine network to accessible one so from Power BI Service Portal, I can connect with local virtual machine name.

power.PNGpower01.PNG

There might be another option which is to configure DNS for my connection string. I'm testing it.

Hi @s15

It all depends on how you want to connect to your Azure SQL VM.

What the Power BI Gateway does is it connects the Power BI Service to your On-Premise data. 

As per your error below, when you are setting up your Data Source you must make sure that both the Data Source Name and the Server name are identical in your Power BI Desktop connection also. If those do not match then the data will not be able to connect and refresh.

Power BI Blog

It seems like I need Power BI Desktop to create a data source first right? I think there should have been something like "Power BI Gateway is the translator connection of the combination of local data source and Power BI Desktop"

Yes you would need to create the data source in Power BI desktop and then also configure it in the gateway also

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.