Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan0585
Advocate II
Advocate II

Remote Desktop / VPN Issues

I am working from home today and am having issues as illustrated in the image attached herein.  It looks like the Power BI workspace is offset up and to the left, maybe 200-400px.  Click in the workspace also does not work, I have to click out to the right where elements would be to interact with them.  It renders Power BI unusable over my remote desktop connection.

If I am sitting at my desk at work and I open a pbix file there locally, and then go home and VPN in from home, the file looks just fine.  It's only when I open something from home, over VPN and remote desktop connection, that I'm experiencing the issue.  Anything that was open before I remote into the machine is just fine.

In my experience with VPN, this is actually the opposite of what I'd expect.  When opening a new file, I'd expect it to use the resolution of my remote desktop connection.  The Power BI application is doing that just fine... it's just the workspace within the Power BI application and visualization/field menus that are offset.

I know this has to do with a resolution difference between my desktop resolution at work (4k) and at home (2k), but Power BI seems to be the only application affected.  When I closed all of my Power BI instances in my remote desktop connection and reopened them, it did not fix the issue.

To Recreate the Issue:

You'll need a local machine you can log into remotely

1. Connect a computer ("remote machine") to a 4k monitor

2. Connect a computer ("local machine") to a 2k monitor

3. Save 2 .pbix reports to the remote machine, and open one of them

4. On the local machine, create a remote desktop connection into the remote machine

5. Notice the .pbix file that's already open should look fine

6. Open the other .pbix file over the remote desktop connection to the remote machine

7. Notice the .pbix file is offset, and clicking on elements visible on the page does not work

Thanks!

Issue:

Power BI Remote Desktop Bug.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ryan0585,

It seems that you have hit the ”Power BI Desktop loads with a partial screen“ issue described in this article. Please follow the steps below and check if you resolve the issue,

1.Press the Start key and type the world blurry into the search bar that appears.
2.In the dialog that appears, select the option: Let Windows fix apps that are blurry.
3.Restart Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ryan0585
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thank you this worked!!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ryan0585,

It seems that you have hit the ”Power BI Desktop loads with a partial screen“ issue described in this article. Please follow the steps below and check if you resolve the issue,

1.Press the Start key and type the world blurry into the search bar that appears.
2.In the dialog that appears, select the option: Let Windows fix apps that are blurry.
3.Restart Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.