Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TCordeiro
Frequent Visitor

Relative time measures

Hello all,

I'm trying to do a SWITCH for Time Periods but my Calendar its not standard, some month don't start at Day 1 not do they end at the 30/31, they start at the first Monday of the week the month's begins.

i.e: March 2018, it starts at 26th February and ends at 1st April

feb_calendar.png

The switch I did is:

Measure Period calculation = IF(COUNTROWS(VALUES('Time Period'[Index]))=1;
    SWITCH(VALUES('Time Period'[Name]);
                                    "YTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected];DATESYTD('Calendar'[Date]));
                                    "PY"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]));
                                    "MTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected];DATESMTD('Calendar'[Date]));
                                    "QTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected]; DATESQTD('Calendar'[Date]));
                                    "PYMTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected]; DATEADD(DATESMTD('Calendar'[Date]);-1;YEAR));
                                    "PYQTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected]; DATEADD(DATESQTD('Calendar'[Date]);-1;YEAR));
                                    "PYYTD"; CALCULATE([Measure Selected]; DATEADD(DATESYTD('Calendar'[Date]);-1;YEAR));
[Measure Selected]); 
blank()
)

But since the month aren't standard the result it returns is not what I want:

i.e: Using "MTD" measure i get these results

total_march.png

I need to add those 3 days in February plus the 1st of April since they "belong" to March so the total of Measure Period Calculation column shows the same result as Measure Selected column (green square)

PS: I do have a column in my Dim Calendar that provides the begin (Month_Start) and end (Month_End) of each months using these business logic.

If anyone could help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tiago

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@TCordeiro -

You might want to take a look at Power Query to help you solve this problem; creating a custom period(s) calendar table. http://cjmendoza.yourweb.csuchico.edu/custom-calendar/create-a-custom-period-calendar-in-power-query... provides some context for what I purpose.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the reply @ChrisMendoza !

As I mentioned, I already have the PeriodStart and PeriodEnd columns in my Dim Calendar but I just can't seem to make the switch calculate using those periods...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tiago

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors