Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relative path to data source

Hello!

I have my PowerBI file in a folder and some folders inside with the data sources. I would like to refer to those data sources (folders and files) via relative path, so when I move the folder or rename one of the above folders, or I create a copy I don't have to manually update the path to the source data files.

Is there an option for this?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You change change the source by:

Transform data -> Right-click source (Query) on the left pane -> Advanced Editor -> Change the path here manually -> Done

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all, that was my fear. It would have been amazing if PowerBI gave this option. For people that work with local files it would be an amazing improvement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really amazed that relative path to data source hasn't been implemented. To me, this is basic functionality that would be expected of any application that works with external files.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If your datasource is a folder which has many subfolders and files in it, Power BI should still be able to pull the data even if the subfolders have been renamed so long as the main folder name stays the same. Note: Only if the datasource is the main folder. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you move or rename the file of the data source, you will meet a error when you refresh:

c2.PNG

Like you said, the method of using relative paths does not exist in the current version( 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December 2019)).

Maybe you can Submit an idea .

After you changed the path of the data source, you can modify it at File -> Options and settings -> data source setting .

c3.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors