Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relative date period

Hi, 

I have an issue in my report. I would like to automatically display the last month of available data when opening the report, and let the user the choice in the period if he wants to display another month.

Today, it is ticked on one month and stay like this, it's not dynamic. It creates confusion for the users.

So today, it's a slicer for years + a filter for the month and it displays from January to the selected month of the year.

It's clearly not ideal. I tried to put only one slicer with directly the date inside but I want it to be displayed only by entire available months, not all the available dates and I couldn't find how to do this.

I've tried again with the "relative" option on my Datadate (DateDonnees field), putting a filter on my data date and then choosing "relative", last 1 month, but it gives me data that are not yet loaded/available in this field, I can't explain why 

Example (my last available data are 31/03/2020) :

If I let the slicer with the between option, the last data is ok, 31/03/2020:

Now, if I choose the "relative date" option, with Last 1 Month (calendar) choice, it gives me the the last month existing in reality, not in my data : 

relative.png

Would you have a solution to have a proper filter, presenting automatically when opening the report the last month of available data and also allowing the user to choose another period (monthly period) if needed ?

The actual format of my dates are : 

DateDonnees : 31/03/20 00:00:00 : date type, always the last day of each month

I have the year in number : 2020

The month in letter : March

The month in text : 01 to 12

Could add the month in number if needed : 1 to 12

I can update easily my model if needed, let me know your thoughts, I would be very grateful for your help, it makes me crazy not to find a proper way to display such a simple feature...

Thanks a lot, AnneSo

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Relative Date Period is based on the real date, not the date in your data.

So, it is suggested to create a calculated column in your Dates table based on the last date of your data.

For example, 

Relative Month Column = 
VAR MaxDate_ =
    MAX ( 'Fact Table'[Date] )
VAR MaxDateYear =
    YEAR ( MaxDate_ )
VAR MaxDateMonth =
    MONTH ( MaxDate_ )
VAR StartofMaxDate =
    DATE ( MaxDateYear, MaxDateMonth, 1 )
VAR StartofMonth_ =
    STARTOFMONTH ( 'Dates Table'[Date] )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        StartofMaxDate = StartofMonth_, "ThisMonth",
        StartofMaxDate = DATEADD ( StartofMonth_, 1, MONTH ), "Last Month"
    )

LASTMONTH.PNG

BTW, .pbix file attached.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure! I have split the date sélection, one part for year in which I have added one filter "current year", so that it stays on it and automatically refresh with the last available year. It can't be a slicer anymore but it's OK for the user.

And one part for the month with the automatic choice "last loaded month" and then other month displayed (here it's a period).

selection_period.png  selection_month.png  selection_change_year.png

There is a small bug (tolerated because the gain is bigger than it), when you change the year selection, the last month choice remains in the filter choice, no data displayed but it should not be there. For example, swich from the current year to 2019, you can see the "Dernier mois chargé" (last loaded month) option still available in the filter whereas it doesn't exist for 2019. As soon as you click on another period, this line disappears and it's OK : 

bug.png

Cheers, AnSo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem solved?

Best Regards,

Icey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey, 

Yes, I found another way to manage it because the user did not want to have the filters names "Last month", last 1 month , ...

Thanks for your help!

AnSo

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear that! Can you share us your solution?

Best Regards,

Icey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure! I have split the date sélection, one part for year in which I have added one filter "current year", so that it stays on it and automatically refresh with the last available year. It can't be a slicer anymore but it's OK for the user.

And one part for the month with the automatic choice "last loaded month" and then other month displayed (here it's a period).

selection_period.png  selection_month.png  selection_change_year.png

There is a small bug (tolerated because the gain is bigger than it), when you change the year selection, the last month choice remains in the filter choice, no data displayed but it should not be there. For example, swich from the current year to 2019, you can see the "Dernier mois chargé" (last loaded month) option still available in the filter whereas it doesn't exist for 2019. As soon as you click on another period, this line disappears and it's OK : 

bug.png

Cheers, AnSo

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Relative Date Period is based on the real date, not the date in your data.

So, it is suggested to create a calculated column in your Dates table based on the last date of your data.

For example, 

Relative Month Column = 
VAR MaxDate_ =
VAR MaxDateYear =
    YEAR ( MaxDate_ )
VAR MaxDateMonth =
    MONTH ( MaxDate_ )
VAR StartofMaxDate =
VAR StartofMonth_ =
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        StartofMaxDate = StartofMonth_, "ThisMonth",
        StartofMaxDate = DATEADD ( StartofMonth_, 1, MONTH ), "Last Month"
    )

LASTMONTH.PNG

BTW, .pbix file attached.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey, 

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, the pbix does not work : 

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

But I understand the concept so I will try it, I will let you know.

In the meantime, I am wondering how the user will be able to change to selected period afterwards if I put a filter on "This month" in my report ? 

Thank you, AnSo

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to change the Relative month column like so:

Relative Month Column 2 =
VAR MaxDate_ =
VAR MaxDateYear =
    YEAR ( MaxDate_ )
VAR MaxDateMonth =
    MONTH ( MaxDate_ )
VAR StartofMaxDate =
VAR StartofMonth_ =
VAR DateDiffofMonth =
    DATEDIFF ( StartofMonth_, StartofMaxDate, MONTH )
RETURN
    IF ( DateDiffofMonth = 0, "This Month", "Last " & DateDiffofMonth & " Months" )

month.PNGlastmonth.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi @Anonymous ,

check this solution.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-Filter-default-to-current-day/m-p/835608/highlight/true#M401341

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.