Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JayBI
Regular Visitor

Relative Time Slicer UTC

Hi all, 

Im facing an issue where I am trying to use the relative time slicer but it does not match my timezone. 

There are no problems with my data or other visuals that are filtered by this particular slicer.

But I would just like to change the line of text at the bottom of the relative time slicer which shows the range of dates and time in UTC, into an equivalent in my timezone instead. Or perhaps, is it possible to remove that text entirely?

Please advise and any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JayBI ,

For the latest version of powerbi desktop, slicers and filters are always based on the time in UTC, and they cannot be deleted or blocked. My suggestion is that you can use now() to get your time zone, and then create a card visual to illustrate the time zone difference to remind your customers.

vhenrykmstf_0-1623922418163.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1623922440053.png

vhenrykmstf_3-1623922822339.png

Regarding your question, I think it is a good idea. I will promptly report back to Microsoft official, hoping to implement this feature in the next update.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JayBI ,

The data model in Power BI does not include time zone information. Models can store time, but they do not show the time zone they are in. You can use the query editor to convert data captured in the local time zone to UTC.

vhenrykmstf_1-1623899670877.png

The time offset can be added to the date/time function in DAX through the dax formula. Try as below:

DAX NZ TIME = NOW()+(12/24)
DAX Seattle TIME = NOW()-(7/24)

vhenrykmstf_0-1623899608462.png

related document link:

Use a relative time slicer or filter in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-henryk-mstf , 

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

I've implemented your suggested steps and the data is filtered as intended by the slicer.

The main gripe I have with the slicer is that indication of the datetime range is still in UTC as shown in the black box below in the image of the relative time slicer. Following that is an image of the equivalent time in my timezone.

JayBI_0-1623907272957.png

JayBI_1-1623907318211.png

The display of the datetime range in the slicer is in UTC and not in my timezone, which may confuse local users of the dashboard. So I was wondering if the datetime range in the black box can be displayed in my timezone, or removed entirely to prevent any confusion to users?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best Regards,

Jay

Hi @JayBI ,

For the latest version of powerbi desktop, slicers and filters are always based on the time in UTC, and they cannot be deleted or blocked. My suggestion is that you can use now() to get your time zone, and then create a card visual to illustrate the time zone difference to remind your customers.

vhenrykmstf_0-1623922418163.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1623922440053.png

vhenrykmstf_3-1623922822339.png

Regarding your question, I think it is a good idea. I will promptly report back to Microsoft official, hoping to implement this feature in the next update.

Best Regards,
Henry

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @JayBI !

You can use approach mentioned in below thread;

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/relative-time-offset-conversion-from-UTC-time-zone/m-p/1970... 

Regards,

Hasham

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.