Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relative Date Filter behaving oddly

I hope someone can explain this to me. I am filtering a Matrix to show the previous day's data with a filter of in the last 1 days with the Include today box unchecked.

This morning everything was working fine. I closed my project before lunch and when I reopened it this afternoon, the relative filter is returning today's date even though Inculde today is still unchecked. It's almost like the control is living in a different time zone!

This is what I'm seeing on 12/17/2019, the Activity_Date should have a 12/16/2019-12/16/2019 range, not 12/17.

Image taken at 4:45pm PST on 12/17 it should show 12/16/2019 as the target dateImage taken at 4:45pm PST on 12/17 it should show 12/16/2019 as the target date

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous most likey it is UTC time zone and tha'ts why it changed.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The following limitations and considerations currently apply to the relative date range slicer and filter.

• Data models in Power BI don't include time zone info. The models can store times, but there's no indication of the time zone they're in.

• The slicer and filter are always based on the time in UTC. If you set up a filter in a report and send it to a colleague in a different time zone, you'll both see the same data. Unless you are in the UTC time zone, you and your colleague must account for the time offset you’ll experience.

• You can convert data captured in a local time zone to UTC using the Query Editor.

You might refer to this articles for more reference about the timeset in power bi and the proper solution: 

https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi 

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/10/03/power-bi-did-you-know-all-power-bi-services-servers-are-in-utc-now-how-to-handle-it-for-dates-times/ 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

The following limitations and considerations currently apply to the relative date range slicer and filter.

• Data models in Power BI don't include time zone info. The models can store times, but there's no indication of the time zone they're in.

• The slicer and filter are always based on the time in UTC. If you set up a filter in a report and send it to a colleague in a different time zone, you'll both see the same data. Unless you are in the UTC time zone, you and your colleague must account for the time offset you’ll experience.

• You can convert data captured in a local time zone to UTC using the Query Editor.

You might refer to this articles for more reference about the timeset in power bi and the proper solution: 

https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi 

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/10/03/power-bi-did-you-know-all-power-bi-services-servers-are-in-utc-now-how-to-handle-it-for-dates-times/ 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous most likey it is UTC time zone and tha'ts why it changed.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.