Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbudack
Advocate III
Advocate III

Relationships when using 2 slicers for multiple tables

I have the same issue as found under this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Using-2-slicers-on-1-report-for-multiple-tables/m-p/60492

However, my data tables have one key difference. The Date table has a 1:1 relationship with the Tables 1-4 (each metric is recorded once per month). When I attempt to change the filter to single direction, I get the error "The filter direction you selected isn't valid for this relationship". 

I feel like this should be a simple fix, but nothing I'm trying is working.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@lbudack in 1:1 relationship, you cannot change the filter direction to single, it is always both. What actual problam  you are trying to solve?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I have multiple tables with monthly metrics in them. I have a Date Dimension table, and I have a Category table that are separate from those metric tables. I need to slice by both the date and the categories very much like the example I linked previously, but with only one relationship active between the metrics and the Date Dimension table and one inactive with the Category, it doesn't work. Screenshot of visualization and filters attached. (Date filter works - categories don't)Capture.JPG

Hi @lbudack

Could you show the relationship view?

Best Regards
Maggie

Here you go. This is probably hard to read, but each "BSC" table has a 1:1 relationship with the Date_Dim table and an inactive relationship of 1 to many with the Col_Links table. I want to be able to slice by the date as well as the categories in Col_Links. 

(I may end up asking our database admin to move all of this to one table, but I'm not sure how much work is involved to do that. We will be adding more "BSC" tables.) 

Capture1.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors