Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olivierlaloo
Regular Visitor

Relationship with date table not working

Hi All, I'm fairly new to Power BI and got stuck on something that seems so easy in tutorials, but on my project, haven been spending hours finding the reason why... So, i have created a new PBI based on Data in Dynamics 365 (CRM). I have retrieved tables 'Accounts', 'Salesorders' & 'SalesOrderDetails'. My SalesOrder table contains a field 'RequestDeliveryBy' which i want to use for time intelligence. I have created a new calendar table (as shown in the different tutorials) and have linked my calendar table with the field 'RequestDeliveryBy'. Now, when i try to make a simple repport showing the amount or orders per year, this is not working... Anybody has any idea?

Date calendarDate calendarRelationshipRelationshipOutcome in repotOutcome in repotRequestDeliveryByRequestDeliveryBy

Note: I have tried a workaround, where i have created a new field in Salesorders & Date where i have formatted the Dates fields as 'YYYYMMDD'' and made the link on both tables to this new formatted field and then it works. However, when this link is created like this, i'm not able to use formulas such as TOTALYTD, TOTALMTD, since this new formatted field is not of type date. 

Let me know your thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@olivierlaloo Check to see whether or not the data type is date in the "Edit Query" section. I've run into this before and wasted a bunch of time because I didn't check there. My guess, is that it is still text in that section. (Load vs. Model, they both need to have the same datatypes for some reason).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, Sorry for late replay

I am designing a weekly sales report for last four week. By  stores and  categories. but when I am adding week number column to X-axis , I am getting blank in the report visualization.before adding week column to X-Axisbefore adding week column to X-Axisafter adding week number column to X-axisafter adding week number column to X-axisimage.png

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, you were right. The issue was that in the Edit Query section, the field was formatted as date + time + timezone instead of date+time.

Changing this field + apply + reload all data solved the trick.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.