Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Quindici
Frequent Visitor

Relationship using an expression

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to create a calculated column in one table that has no relationship to a second table.

My first table has a date field (ExpectedClose). My Second Table has non-consecutive dates (Period) and an Identifier (LTP).

My new Column in Table 1 would contain the LTP value from the second table for the value of Table2.Period which is equal to or lower than Table1.ExpectedClose.

Is such a relationship or expression to return a value even possible? I tried many things, but sadly got nothing that worked. If anyone can help me I would be really grateful.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Quindici ,

We can create a calculated column using following measure to meet your requirement:

_LTP =
MAXX ( FILTER ( 'PIPELINE', [EXPECTED_CLOSE_DATE] <= [EXPECTED_CLOSE] ), [LTP] 

10.PNG11.PNG

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Please show the exact expected result based on the Tables in my picture.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Quindici ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Quindici ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @Quindici 

Yes, what you are wanting to do should be possible.  Can you share a sample of your data in a format that can be copied (not a screen shot)?  Make sure it is enough of a sample to represent the scenario (multiple dates, etc)

Hi, thanks for joining in with this. After I posted last night I went to bed and this morning tried this...

_LTP =
VAR mydate =
CALCULATE (MIN ( PIPELINEGLPERIODMAP[EXPECTED_CLOSE].[Date] ),
FILTER (
CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( PIPELINEGLPERIODMAP ) ),
PIPELINEGLPERIODMAP[EXPECTED_CLOSE] >= PIPELINE[EXPECTED_CLOSE_DATE].[Date]
)
)
return
calculate(SELECTEDVALUE(PIPELINEGLPERIODMAP[LTP]),PIPELINEGLPERIODMAP[EXPECTED_CLOSE]=mydate)
This seems to work as I needed  it to. I would be thrilled to know if there is a better/faster/less code/simply more elegant/flashier way to do this though. Seems that there are many ways to achieve these tasks in DAX - Which I am quite inexperienced with. I am at heart a SQL guy 😞

Hi @Quindici ,

We can create a calculated column using following measure to meet your requirement:

_LTP =
MAXX ( FILTER ( 'PIPELINE', [EXPECTED_CLOSE_DATE] <= [EXPECTED_CLOSE] ), [LTP] 

10.PNG11.PNG

If it doesn't meet your requirement, Please show the exact expected result based on the Tables in my picture.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.