Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

purnima13
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship text to text with trailing spaces

We have two tables in which technically they are unique values in the database on both ends.
Please notice that one of them have a trailing space.
Power BI does not allow me to create a relationship between the two as it does a trim before.
Is there any way other than deleting a row to create a relationship?
Goal is to keep all rows and consider both rows as unique

table 1:
"AB123 " 
"AB123"

table 2
"AB123 " 
"AB123"

7 REPLIES 7
led2106

I find it a bit unbelievable that this has not been fixed by Microsoft as of September 2022...

ugurdemir
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is the most redicilous thing i've ever seen in my life. And this is Microsoft not a tiny little software company. The spaces are not recognized in power query but recognized in model and dax side. Is he an engineer or a truck driver who decided to be like that. 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @purnima13,

I have e-mailed to Product Team to consult with them about this problem. Will update my reply here once I get any response.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MarkLaf
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Yes, it's somewhat unexpected that the modeling engine would automatically trim values. However, the trailing spaces are still recognized in the query editor, so I would recommend adding a custom column there and simply concatenating a random character. E.g. "AB123" -> "AB123_" & "AB123 " -> "AB123 _"

image.png

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@purnima13 Please try creating a unique hexadecimal value in the database (which will be unique for each text with space and without space) and use this as a relationship link between tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

@PattemManohar Thank you. This is indeed a good idea.
Is there any way for it not to impact perfomance in the relationship?
A hexadecimal would be a text according to power BI and large text field have poor performance.

Hi @purnima13,

I got below response from PG:

When strings are imported into AS Engine, the trailing spaces are trimmed.

It looks like currently we are not able to avoid this behavior. The workaround is to replace the trailing space with other type of character.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors