Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

akruzel
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship "breaks" when displaying columns from 3 tables

My understanding is that when you join multiple tables with many to many relationships, it treats them as one large table.  The issue I'm having is shown in attached screenshot.  Please advise.Relationship question.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

@akruzel Check out this video. The real relevant part for your question starts at about 9:45, but the whole thing may help in  understanding models and the things you have to do.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Also, regarding the video, I would disagree with the presenter at 10:25 where he says there is no connection between the two dimension tables.  How can he say there's no connection now, in then later in the video he talks about having these tables connected with bi-directional filtering we can treat the three as if they're one big table?  For these three to be treated as one big table, there has to be a connection between the two dimension tables which is through the fact table.

I think the key issue is I'm treating a fact table as a dimension table and I'm trying to figure out how to implement this correctly.  In the Manager WO Hdr Store query, I can have one manager assigned to multiple stores and I want to be able to filter the actual fact table on those stores depending on the manager that's logged in.

Thanks for the quick response Eno!

The key issue I'm running into is setting up a data model for row level security.  The query that is filtered by the logged in user should allow for a user to be assigned one or two values to filter on.  

For example, the 'Manager Hdr Stores' query is where I identify what stores to filter on by the user logged in.  In the case with the new screenshot, when abc@123.com logs in, they should only see WO Hdr Store 0 and 3.  I then want that filter to flow to the Store/JC query to show what Respare are assigned to the the same store of the user that just logged in.  

data for RLS realtionship.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.