Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIDevNoob
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship keys with No Match

Hi! 

I have two tables (Main and Category) with a relationship using ID.

Table RelationshipTable RelationshipDataData

My problem is that not all of the IDs in the main table have categories (in my example, ID 5 is not in the Category table), so when I try to add Main[ID] and Category[Category] to a table visual 5 is left out.

Missing ID 5Missing ID 5

I tried using "Show items with no Data", but apparently it treats the entire row as having no data including fields with values so conditional formatting doesn't work properly. In my example below, I added a conditional formatting to ID that would color the value from red (lowest) to green (highest). So, 5 should be highlited as green not red. 

ID 5 is treated as emptyID 5 is treated as empty

I tried changing the relationship to single direction and even made the relationship inactive, neither worked. 

6 REPLIES 6
Calup

Hi, did you solve this issue?

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Untitled.png

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBIDevNoob ,

Please modify relationship direction to single then turn on 'show item with not data' option:

4.png5.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft but as I said in the post, I've already tried that. The problem is that even if I do manage to show the unmatched items using "Show items with no data", the conditional formatting treats the entire row as blank even if there are values on the field.

Ex. The Conditional formatting set here is to fill the lowest ID with red and the highest ID with green, i.e. 5 should be the greenest color and 1 should be the reddest. But, since it treats ID 5 as blank it was filled with red. 

ID 5 is treated as emptyID 5 is treated as empty

I tried adding a measure, but the result's the same--measure gets filtered or rows get treated as blank in Show Items with No Data. I also can't create a calculated column on Main to get the related category, since it'll return more than one row. I'm out of ideas at the moment. 

HI @PBIDevNoob,

I'd like to suggest you use fields value with condition formula to do color formatting and add conditions to check blank records and return result.
When you use divide or other auto detect mode, it will recognize unmatched or blank records as zero.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.