Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

I_Like_Pi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Relationship issue - We cannot create a relationship between

I built a summarizing table because my data set is not normalized and I need a particular field (BusinessUnit) to join several tables.

This business unit occurs in all 3 tables but is named differently in each (the definition itself is the same, just different names).

the summary:

BusinessUnit = Summarize('Table1', 'Table1'[YTMCU],"Gross",SUM('Table1'[Gross]))

The resultant table appears clean and as I expect, however when I try to relate it back to the original (and the other 2) I get an error.

"We cannot create a relationship between 'BusinessUnit '[YTMCU] and 'Table1'[YTMCU]. This could be because there is missing intermediate data to connect the two columns."

What does this error mean, does anyone have any guidance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
I_Like_Pi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Reading a couple other posts I have discovered there were blanks in my original data.

Instead of summarizing I am going to copy my import remove all other columns, remove duplicates and remove blanks. [Thanks dejan]

I will return with my results.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
I_Like_Pi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Reading a couple other posts I have discovered there were blanks in my original data.

Instead of summarizing I am going to copy my import remove all other columns, remove duplicates and remove blanks. [Thanks dejan]

I will return with my results.

That worked.  I think if i figured out a way to drop Nulls within the summarize command I may have been fine with that approach. (ANYONE?)

I did run into additional issues. I have another table (employees) that links the 3 main tables. When those relationships were established they were 2-way and my business unit table created ambiguity in those relationships. I changed then to single and was able make the business unit relationship.

I honestly dont know what the 2way vs single means, so I probably lost some function. (ANYONE?)

It did bring up some other issues, why are there nulls in a field that should contain a value so yeah!

I am calling this item closed but if anyone has insight on my 2 remaining soft queries please reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.