Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Relationship error when trying to create lookup table: need help desperately!

Hello everyone,

This has been driving me completely crazy over the weekend. I am trying to create a several lookup tables from the source fact table: all the lookup tables are created by way of "reference" to the original fact table in the query editor. the idea is to create a tree from lowest to highest granularity so that when filtering from the top, the subsequent slicers get in turn filtered down etc..

when trying to create the relationship from one of the tables to the next I get this error:

Relationship error dragging.PNG

The thing is the table I have create to link down a step I have "removed duplicates":

Barrio duplicates.PNG

And if I try to create the relationship manually I'm  still getting the message saying that one of the tables has to have unique values:
Error relationship manual.PNG

So what is going on here? I desperately need to get on with this project, and I'm stuck at the moment.

Thanks for your help,

Paul. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PaulDBrown,

To my knowledge you at you cannot create case sensitive relationships within Power BI. In your table Nombre De Barrio on lines 4 and 10 you have les corts and Les Corts. When removing duplicate Power BI trets these as different but.. when creating relationships these are the same. This thread may provide more info

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Creating-Case-Sensitive-Table-Relationships/td-p/18210

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PaulDBrown,

To my knowledge you at you cannot create case sensitive relationships within Power BI. In your table Nombre De Barrio on lines 4 and 10 you have les corts and Les Corts. When removing duplicate Power BI trets these as different but.. when creating relationships these are the same. This thread may provide more info

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Creating-Case-Sensitive-Table-Relationships/td-p/18210

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kris

@Anonymous

Thank you! well spotted!!

Though I can't begin to understand the logic behind why removing duplicates treats them as the different values, but then treats them as one if trying to create a relationship. It kind of defeats the prupose of "removing duplicates" if the end result is that there is a conflict (I mean, if what we are trying to do is create a lookup table for example, shouldn't the integrity of upper/lower case be kept when creating a relationship?- that would help in the clean-up process...). 

Anyway, at least I can move on, which is what I desperately needed...

And seeing this behaviour I have now opted to include a step entailing "create uppercase for each word" or something to that effect...

Thanks again,

Regards,

Paul.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Combine and load error.png

I have three excel files, workbooks and I choose Folder, then Combine and Load and I get this error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.