Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ValentinBIA
Resolver I
Resolver I

Relationship between lookup tables

Good morning dear Power BI Community!

I'm stuck with an issue, and I lack the DAX knowledge to solve it. I hope you guys can help Robot Happy

I have:

1 DATA Table: 'Rentals'

3 LOOKUP Tables: 'Customers', 'Station' and 'Geography'

I have also used calculated tables to create new LOOKUP tables so that my relationships don't loop (cf. Picture below):

Relationships

Now, out of this file, I need to build a report that shows two things:

- The percentage of rentals made from one town to the same town (for example Whiterun to Whiterun)

- The percentage of rentals made from customers living in a town, that either leave from or arrive to the same town (as the one the customer lives in)

The data in my different tables is the following:

Geography:

Postcode

Town

Whiterun

Helgen

Whiterun

Whiterun

Helgen

Morthal

Whiterun

Morthal

Morthal

Station:

Station ID

Postcode

A

B

C

D

E

F

Customers:

Customer ID

Postcode

Rentals:

Rental ID

Customer ID

StartStation

EndStation

A

C

D

A

E

E

B

D

B

C

D

F

B

E

C

D

B

A

C

A

E

B

A

A

C

B

D

C

A

D

C

A

F

F

F

C

A

C

C

F

A

E

C

E

E

A

Sorry for the (very) long post, and huge thanks to anyone that tries to solve my issue!

PS 1: My original data is obviously not this, but for privacy reasons, I'm not allowed to upload it. However, the structure is the same (with more lines and columns that don't matter for what I'm trying to achieve here).

PS 2: I've made a Power BI File with this data in it: https://we.tl/t-GoBQNqfe9J

PS 3: I know it's a lot to ask, but if you could not just give me the fish, but also teach me how to fish, that would be awesome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ ValentinBIA 

After my test , you may need to optimize your model, you can try to do these like below:

Step 1:

you can summary the table Geography and table Customers into one table,  table GeographyStart and table StationStart  into  one table and table GeographyEnd and table StationEnd  into  one table

like these:

Basic Geography = SUMMARIZE(Geography,Geography[Postcode],Geography[Town],Customers[Customer ID])
StarGeography = FILTER(SUMMARIZE(GeographyStart,StationStart[Postcode],StationStart[Station ID],GeographyStart[Town]),ISBLANK(StationStart[Postcode])=FALSE())
EndGeography = FILTER(SUMMARIZE(GeographyEnd,StationEnd[Postcode],StationEnd[Station ID],GeographyEnd[Town]),ISBLANK(StationEnd[Postcode])=FALSE())

41.PNG

Step 2:

Create relationship between them with Rentals like this

42.png

Try these two measure:

The percentage of rentals made from one town to the same town (for example Whiterun to Whiterun)

The percentage of rentals first = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Rentals,Rentals[StartStation]=Rentals[EndStation]))),CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Rentals),ALL(Rentals)))

The percentage of rentals made from customers living in a town, that either leave from or arrive to the same town (as the one the customer lives in)

The percentage of rentals second = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Rentals,RELATED('Basic Geography'[Town])=RELATED('StarGeography'[Town])||RELATED('Basic Geography'[Town])=RELATED('EndGeography'[Town]))))/CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Rentals),ALL(Rentals))

Result:

43.png

Here is demo, please try it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/185bdrt8cs9jwfp/new_rentals_Customers.pbix?dl=0

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ ValentinBIA 

After my test , you may need to optimize your model, you can try to do these like below:

Step 1:

you can summary the table Geography and table Customers into one table,  table GeographyStart and table StationStart  into  one table and table GeographyEnd and table StationEnd  into  one table

like these:

Basic Geography = SUMMARIZE(Geography,Geography[Postcode],Geography[Town],Customers[Customer ID])
StarGeography = FILTER(SUMMARIZE(GeographyStart,StationStart[Postcode],StationStart[Station ID],GeographyStart[Town]),ISBLANK(StationStart[Postcode])=FALSE())
EndGeography = FILTER(SUMMARIZE(GeographyEnd,StationEnd[Postcode],StationEnd[Station ID],GeographyEnd[Town]),ISBLANK(StationEnd[Postcode])=FALSE())

41.PNG

Step 2:

Create relationship between them with Rentals like this

42.png

Try these two measure:

The percentage of rentals made from one town to the same town (for example Whiterun to Whiterun)

The percentage of rentals first = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Rentals,Rentals[StartStation]=Rentals[EndStation]))),CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Rentals),ALL(Rentals)))

The percentage of rentals made from customers living in a town, that either leave from or arrive to the same town (as the one the customer lives in)

The percentage of rentals second = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Rentals,RELATED('Basic Geography'[Town])=RELATED('StarGeography'[Town])||RELATED('Basic Geography'[Town])=RELATED('EndGeography'[Town]))))/CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Rentals),ALL(Rentals))

Result:

43.png

Here is demo, please try it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/185bdrt8cs9jwfp/new_rentals_Customers.pbix?dl=0

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much @v-lili6-msft, this is exactly what I was looking for.

The only tweak I would add (now that I understood how you did it) is the following:

For the first measure, your answer gives the rentals from station A to station A, and not from town Winterfell to town Winterfell, here is how to fix it

Town to same town = DIVIDE(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Rentals,RELATED(StarGeography[Town])=RELATED(EndGeography[Town])))),[TotalRentals])

I also added a measure of Total Rentals, to be able to slice the values with months.

Best,

Valentin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.