Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rohanjha1988
Helper II
Helper II

Relationship and Slicers

Hi All,

I have an issue in understanding a fundamental of relationship. 

I have a table called - FrontlineVisit. In this table I have day wise visit details of my frontline sales team to different clients. In this table some of the columns are - Name, Emp Id, ClientID, VisitDate,VisitTime,VisitDay,ClientTypeName(Retail,Wholesale,ModrenTrade), ClientType Id etc. 

I have another table - ClientType. This is basically a dimTable in which I have 2 columns - ClientTypeId, ClientTYpeName

Now these 2 tables are not linked with each other. 

I have a measure called - #Visit which basically is a Count fuction telling me the no of visits. 

I made a visual - Name and #Visits. Both these are taken from FrontlineVisit table itself. Now if I apply a slicer of ClientTypeName from ClientType table, this slicer works on the visual. 

When these tables are not linked with each other then how can a slicer from a non related table works on a visual? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@rohanjha1988 what you're describing definitely doesn't sound like the expected behavior.

I'm assuming you've already verified this, but the first thing I would double-check is that the ClientTypeName column being used in your slicer is in fact the one from ClientType table, not from FrontlineVisit. 

The next thing I would verify is that the #Visit measure is indeed counting a column from FrontlineVisit, and not mistakenly one from ClientType.

The third thing I would check again is that Power BI has not "automatically detected" and created a relationship between the tables for you on the ClientTypeName column, unbeknownst to you.  This can sometimes happen when a column with same name exists in multiple tables.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@rohanjha1988 what you're describing definitely doesn't sound like the expected behavior.

I'm assuming you've already verified this, but the first thing I would double-check is that the ClientTypeName column being used in your slicer is in fact the one from ClientType table, not from FrontlineVisit. 

The next thing I would verify is that the #Visit measure is indeed counting a column from FrontlineVisit, and not mistakenly one from ClientType.

The third thing I would check again is that Power BI has not "automatically detected" and created a relationship between the tables for you on the ClientTypeName column, unbeknownst to you.  This can sometimes happen when a column with same name exists in multiple tables.

Actually its the 3rd option. The moment i applied the slicer, it automatically detected the slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.