Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Credo
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship ambiguity with manager lookup

Hi 

I have a model that looks similar to this 

Manager.png

I have a tricky situation with my Manager lookup because my account managers are not only responsible for a specific client but also for a specific SKU sold to that client. As a result, I need my Manager lookup table to be able to filter through both Dim Client and Dim Product in order to determine who is the manager for a specific Sale. 

The issue is that if I try to activate both relationships to the Dim tables I get ambiguity warning. I find that puzzling since all relationships are one way and flow towards the fact sales, so there should be no ambiguity. 

What are my options here? I need to be able to use the manager field for tables, charts, slicers with sales being filtered approprietly. 

3 REPLIES 3
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Credo

You are getting the ambuiguity problem because the Sales table can be reached via the Manager > Clients > Sales path and via the Product > Sales path

The manager seems to be an attribute of Clients but als of Products.

Client A can have Mike as manager. Product A can have Mike as manager and Product B can have John as manager.

Client A can buy both Products A and B, therefore a Client assigned to Mike is buying one Product assigned to John and one Product assigned to Mike. 

If build something like this then you're allowed to see the sales of clients assigned to John but who have another manager for the products

2018-11-23_13-26-12.jpg

2018-11-23_13-28-45.jpg

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Unfortunately, that is not what I am looking for 

Such a solution would constantly limit me to a matrix visual if I wanted to graph data by manager as well as interfere with filtering behavior in my reports. 

I am hoping for some way to tie it all together and have a bar chart with sales by manager and drill through to client 

Why would you not be able to do that ?

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.