Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relationship Status - It's Complicated! But should be simple.

Hi, 

I have an issue with my relationships, attached is a pic. Essentially i'm looking to have both the Calendar and the Team List act as filters for all the data in slicers on the visuals, however currently i'm getting only some of the slicers working at some of the time.

I'm sure there's a simple solution and i've been looking into it all I can please help!  

Relationships Screengrab.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Problem is your relationships, all dimensions ( tables you will use to filter other tables ) should be set as one side with the arrow pointing towards the table that is filtered ( fact ).

Try avoiding bi-directional filters and Many to Many as explained in the article below.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

please see the below example of how the model should look.

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Really difficult to tell what is going on here. I'm not super thrilled with the model you have but I do not know enough to say whether it is good or bad. Generally you want to try to go for a star schema. Very often you want to avoid bi-directional filters, that can cause problems.

I have no idea what those relationships are between the tables (what columns). Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the help, the answer was going back to the drawing board with the model itself in order to make the Calander and Team List work. Thanks for your advice! 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Really difficult to tell what is going on here. I'm not super thrilled with the model you have but I do not know enough to say whether it is good or bad. Generally you want to try to go for a star schema. Very often you want to avoid bi-directional filters, that can cause problems.

I have no idea what those relationships are between the tables (what columns). Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Problem is your relationships, all dimensions ( tables you will use to filter other tables ) should be set as one side with the arrow pointing towards the table that is filtered ( fact ).

Try avoiding bi-directional filters and Many to Many as explained in the article below.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/

please see the below example of how the model should look.

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.