Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex1988
Helper I
Helper I

Relationship Between date and Hours to Start Date and End Date of Subscription

Hi All, 

Brand new to Power BI but used to use Qlik. 

We have a a list of users and their Billing Cycles ( And success Status) in one fact table and a  Master calendar in the next. We are using Direct Query. 

I want to be able to select a date or use any attributes from the Master Calendar and see all the billing cycles that date is within. 

so if i select a day, week, hour month etc i see all the billing cycles where that day, week, hour, month etc is between the cycle startdate and end date. 

I'm not sure if this is DAX or a relationship thing but would really apprecaite some help. 

Thanks people 🙂 

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please try this approach to get your desired result.  I wasn't sure if you have a relationship between the tables, but this should work either way.  It should count the cycles that overlap with the Date range in scope in your visual (Day, Month, etc.).

Cycles =
VAR __mindate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR __maxdate =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Cycles ),
        ALL ( 'Date' ),
        Cycles[StartTime] <= __maxdate,
        Cycles[StopTime] >= __mindate
    )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please try this approach to get your desired result.  I wasn't sure if you have a relationship between the tables, but this should work either way.  It should count the cycles that overlap with the Date range in scope in your visual (Day, Month, etc.).

Cycles =
VAR __mindate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR __maxdate =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Cycles ),
        ALL ( 'Date' ),
        Cycles[StartTime] <= __maxdate,
        Cycles[StopTime] >= __mindate
    )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Will this still work if say the chart has a heirachy and the uses changes from dates to month and there is no longer any filtration on the Date field? 

Thanks, 

Alex 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Alex1988 , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

in direct query mostly measures will work, so need check some sample data

Alex1988_0-1593084343098.jpeg

Hello ! Thank you for the response. 

So on the left is the billing cycles fact table and on the right a pretty typical Calendar table. When i use date, week, month, year etc in my visualisation - i want Power BI to filter to all the billing cycles ranges where the date is between the start and end date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.