Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jaideepnema
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Related function not working with Mixed Mode

I have two tables in my Power BI Report, Fact Table with directquery mode and dimension table with import mode. Fact table is joined to the dimension table through many to one relationship. I am trying to bring a column from the dimension table to the fact table but using the DAX Related function but it is not working. I am getting the following error

Error which i am getting

jaideepnema_1-1594831416472.png

Relationship is shown below

jaideepnema_0-1594831366490.png

I cannot use lookup to resolve this issue as i am using directquery in the fact table and i have to create a calculated column only

I am desperately looking for an answer..Can anyone please help in resolving this issue ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jaideepnema ,

For mixed mode, you can create calculated column only on tables with import mode.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SilviuSaulea
Regular Visitor

Please somebody help. How can you do mixed mode? I have a MS SQL Server (database) as a source. If I start first query in a specific mode (direct query or import doesen't matter) on the second query the other option mode is disabled. I use Version: 2.121.1642.0 64-bit (september 2023).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

I have a similar situtation where my Fact table is in Direct query and my Dimension table is import mode. Relationship between Fact to dimension table is Many to One.

I need to create a calculated column using some if condition where in I need to use my dimension table column. Unable to use Related DAX Function in the calculated column. its showing the similar Error message. 

Any ways to resolve this issue or any other way to achieve to call the dimension column. 

Thanks in Advance.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jaideepnema ,

For mixed mode, you can create calculated column only on tables with import mode.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @jaideepnema ,

Can you try modifying your relationship to bi-directional and check?

Also are their any NULL or BLANK values in Fkey column in both of your tables?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

@Pragati11 thanks for your reply

I tried changing the relationship to both direction it is still not working and giving the same error. Also there are no blanks or NULL values

Hi @jaideepnema ,

Is this a measure that you are creating?

I think yes it's a measure. So, measure needs a summarisation like SUM, AVERAGE, etc.

Try modifying your DAX for the measure as follows:

RelatedCheck = RELATED(SUM(DimPriceValue[Price]))

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 this is a calculated column i am trying to create and due to some calculation limitation i cannot create a measure

Hi @jaideepnema ,

You mentioned earlier you are using DirectQuery connection which is limiting you from creating columns.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11 ,

I am trying to create a calculate column and we can create calculated column in mixed mode as per my understanding  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.