Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Related and LookupValue formulas doesn't work - blank results. Please help

"I have 2 tables (A,B) that are Many to One related . I created a key id in each table to enable the relationship. That key is a concatenated function of a date and a name. e.g. :"Buildingname10/21/2019"

In the main table that I'm working (A), I tried to used a LookUpValue formula to get some specific data from the table B. I got the error: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

That same formula worked in another column of A to get data from a table C. Table A and C are one to one related.

Using the RELATED function to try to get the data from column B doesn't work either. The columns of B are not shown in the formula. I also created a fourth table (D) using FILTER and CALCULATE TABLE, with a many to one relation to A. The methods explained before didn´t work either.

Any ideas to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

wow, i can see a lot of effort esp on all the building keys.

There is few slight considerations to take note of:

1. your table2rev.building key is not unique. from what i see you want to get your type 1 value, those are repeated with same values because of column dif.

Lookup01.JPG

2.  The  measure you are using :

2019 Building A - Type 1 = LOOKUPVALUE('Table 2 -rev'[Type 1],'Future dates'[building A - Type 1 Key],CONCATENATE("Building A",'Future dates'[Date]))
The result column should normally always be in the same table as the search column, for lookupvalue

3. my personal opinion is that one should standardise your date format if you are going to concatenate it: from most of your example, the nearest i see is FORMAT(yourvalue,"D/M/YYYY"). i personally would have prefer DDMMYYYY to keep to same string length if indeed you have to see this as part of a building key.

The proposed rev measure in a direct ans to your question, taking the above 3 points in considerations:
REV1_2019 Building A - Type 1 = LOOKUPVALUE('Table 2 -rev'[Type 1],'Table 2 -rev'[building key],CONCATENATE("Building A",FORMAT('Future dates'[Date],"D/M/YYYY")),'Table 2 -rev'[dif],0)

I also format the same way in 
Table2rev. building key = CONCATENATE('Table 2 -rev'[building],FORMAT('Table 2 -rev'[Date],"D/M/YYYY"))

Lookup02.JPG

(note that i assume there is no difference in your type values whichever the dif values are)

i attached the ammended pbix file:

PBIX 

The above should ans to your question on why the lookupvalue do not work. 

On a side note, though i yet to understand what your overall intention is. My opinion is your current model could be, imho, very difficult to maintain. For a neater solution one could consider to have a seperate distinct Building Table, calendar table and using calculate and dateadd to compare last year date and get values of type 1,2,3 etc. however this would be a seperate long conceptual qns.

meanwhile i hope  it clear up the lookupvalue doubts you have.

regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
artemus
Employee
Employee

If you want a simple (and potentially dangrous) solution. Just go to your relationship model and enable filtering in both directions. This should allow the various approaches to work, but can be a bit wonky.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @artemus . I tried to enable filtering, also apply secturity filter in both direction.

I still have blank results in all cases.

attach your file and will take a look.

regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please find the link for the file. The error is in the "Future dates" table, 2019 Bulding A - Type 1 column

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F1vm8gcAt-3G_5dilL2esiNoOqNRCfN5/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Hi,

wow, i can see a lot of effort esp on all the building keys.

There is few slight considerations to take note of:

1. your table2rev.building key is not unique. from what i see you want to get your type 1 value, those are repeated with same values because of column dif.

Lookup01.JPG

2.  The  measure you are using :

2019 Building A - Type 1 = LOOKUPVALUE('Table 2 -rev'[Type 1],'Future dates'[building A - Type 1 Key],CONCATENATE("Building A",'Future dates'[Date]))
The result column should normally always be in the same table as the search column, for lookupvalue

3. my personal opinion is that one should standardise your date format if you are going to concatenate it: from most of your example, the nearest i see is FORMAT(yourvalue,"D/M/YYYY"). i personally would have prefer DDMMYYYY to keep to same string length if indeed you have to see this as part of a building key.

The proposed rev measure in a direct ans to your question, taking the above 3 points in considerations:
REV1_2019 Building A - Type 1 = LOOKUPVALUE('Table 2 -rev'[Type 1],'Table 2 -rev'[building key],CONCATENATE("Building A",FORMAT('Future dates'[Date],"D/M/YYYY")),'Table 2 -rev'[dif],0)

I also format the same way in 
Table2rev. building key = CONCATENATE('Table 2 -rev'[building],FORMAT('Table 2 -rev'[Date],"D/M/YYYY"))

Lookup02.JPG

(note that i assume there is no difference in your type values whichever the dif values are)

i attached the ammended pbix file:

PBIX 

The above should ans to your question on why the lookupvalue do not work. 

On a side note, though i yet to understand what your overall intention is. My opinion is your current model could be, imho, very difficult to maintain. For a neater solution one could consider to have a seperate distinct Building Table, calendar table and using calculate and dateadd to compare last year date and get values of type 1,2,3 etc. however this would be a seperate long conceptual qns.

meanwhile i hope  it clear up the lookupvalue doubts you have.

regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @YJ, I opted to create a calendar and building table as suggested. The method worked!

YJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

for both to work, ideally the lookup must be a table with unique lookupvalues. 

In the case for lookupvalue, you can also specific "alternate result" in the event that result_columnName is filtered down to zero value or an error when more than one distinct value:

LOOKUPVALUE( <result_columnName>, <search_columnName>, <search_value>[, <search_columnName>, <search_value>]…[, <alternateResult>])

if you can uplopad your pbix file and it would be easier to see why.

regards

SK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I tried to incorporate the alternate result to the LOOKUPVALUE formula. The result is also blank.

Most of the dates related with the ID I created are not unique. Any ideas?

artemus
Employee
Employee

Generally SELECTEDVALUE is the function you want to use here. It will return BLANK if there are multiple non-identical values that it could be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for checking @artemus . I applied SELECTEDVALUE and it returns blank for all rows. Any other idea?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.