Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

travismorse
Frequent Visitor

Registry key for Update Notifications?

Anyone know what registry key or file is used to store the "Display update notifications for Power BI Desktop"? I need to set this via an SCCM install package and can't seem to find it anywhere. Reason I need to turn it off is that none of our users have Admin and therefore the client driven update process is useless. Instead I need to get the SCCM package updated monthly with the new Power BI Desktop release and then have my users rerun.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
travismorse
Frequent Visitor

Found it.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip\UserInterface\Settings.xml

<Entry Type="DisableUpdateNotification" Value="l1" />    - Update Notifications Off

<Entry Type="DisableUpdateNotification" Value="l0" />    - Update Notifications On

This makes it very difficult to add logic to an install script/package. Very strange they went this way instead of registry values.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
travismorse
Frequent Visitor

Found it.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\User.zip\UserInterface\Settings.xml

<Entry Type="DisableUpdateNotification" Value="l1" />    - Update Notifications Off

<Entry Type="DisableUpdateNotification" Value="l0" />    - Update Notifications On

This makes it very difficult to add logic to an install script/package. Very strange they went this way instead of registry values.

Hi there

I am looking to disable Update notification for Power BI Desktop (for my Enterprise Clients) and there does not appear to be a way to do this.  Have you discovered a better way since your last post on this subject?  I can't see the entries in the xml file you refer to.

Thanks you

carob

I have struggled for months to find a solution to disable update notification for powerBI.

Here is silent switches which i used to deploy using SCCM and also to disable update notification. Hope this help others..

msiexec.exe /i "PBIDesktop_x86_JAN.msi" /qb /norestart ACCEPT_EULA=1 DISABLE_UPDATE_NOTIFICATION=1

Thanks

Late to the party but I was able to open the MSI with Microsoft Orca and the registry key is 

Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop 

Name: DisableUpdateNotification   Root 2 (meaning HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive)

Value: 1

There is also 

DefaultUICulture (Root2)

SupportsMultiLanguage (Root 2)

EnableCustomerExperienceProgram (Root 1 HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive)

ServiceUrl  (Root 2)

UpdateCheckUrl (Root 2)

Hope this helps 

I have struggled for months to find a solution to disable update notification for powerBI.

Here is silent switches which i used to deploy using SCCM and also to disable update notification. Hope this help others..

msiexec.exe" /i "PBIDesktop_x86_JAN.msi" /qb /norestart ACCEPT_EULA=1 DISABLE_UPDATE_NOTIFICATION=1

Thanks

Thank you for this! I've passed it on to our SCCM to get added to our install/update script.

Now if you could just help us all out and post how to disable the enable custom visualizations button you would be a rockstar. 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

These are great comments/questions - and something we do want to make easier in the future. Please do go and suggest them on http://ideas.powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.