Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reportuser
Helper II
Helper II

Regions based on States

Good Morning Community and Happy Friday 🙂

I have a column namely, "States". Is there a formula or a way in PowerBI where I can know the region based on state

e.g. CA i.e. California will be West. Now, I've seen a lot of fellow peers plug in the formula manually, was wondering if there was a better way.

StatesColumnStatesColumn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@reportuser yes if you set the relationship between you old and new table, you can add a column in your old table like this

Region = RELATED ( NewTable[Region] )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@reportuser  There is a workaround for your problem. I suggest you to use the shape map of the country.  Then in data colors, you can colors states by a color. You can have one color for all states from one region and same way for other region. This will help surely resolve the issue without doing any other additon in the data.US Regions.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@reportuser not direct way until you find a wiki source somewhere online that has divided states in the region and you can connect to that web table and use in your model. 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2kbased on your response I found an excel sheet with States and Regions. Advice on how to connect them to the existing table.

@reportuser there are few ways, you can connect to this excel sheet and use merge option in power query between your existing table and this new table on state column and then extract region from new table, or load new excel sheet in the model and set relationship in the data model between your existing table and this new table on the common field (which I guess will be a state)

@parry2kIs there a way this can be achieved?

New Column = If(Table1[StateCode] == Table2[StateCode]) THEN Region

@reportuser yes if you set the relationship between you old and new table, you can add a column in your old table like this

Region = RELATED ( NewTable[Region] )

@parry2kWorked wonderfully, thank you so much for your time and advice 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.