Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Regional number format ( delimiters ) in Europe - PowerBI Desktop January update

Did anyone ( in Europe )  noticed change in delimiter used in reports ( comma for decimals changed to dot & the other way around )  after the last Desktop January update. 

Up to yesterday PowerBI service & Desktop ( previous version ) used correct number format.

Is a bug when updating Desktop? or maybe an update to windows??

Is there a way to force desktop to read specific regional format? Where did the Desktop or service reads the regional number formats? 

Once in 2 -3 updates ( PowerBI or maybe windows ) the number format changed and we are losing too much time to restore if I find a way.

As you imagine the windows advanced regional formats are set correct, load in PowerBI Desktop is set to Dutch, etc..

Please fix this issue or advise..

Konstantinos Ioannou
16 REPLIES 16
cabc_xlorla
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi guys, is this problem again appearing on the new update of Power BI (August 2019)?

pqian
Employee
Employee

@konstantinos What data source are you using? CSV? Can you post the Query's source formula here?

@bidgeir I am using the same version 2.31.4280.361 64 bit in Windows 10 with the latest update is "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124262) " Region is set to Netherlands. 

What windows version are you working and what regional setting you are using.

@pqian It is not in one file. All my pbix files affected ( more than 40 ) with multiple data sources. The problem also occurs in the PowerBI service. When I sigh in it shows wrong format. Not only in my laptop but also in others I tried. Other users running win 10 also when they access PowerBI service shows wrong delimiter.

I am wondering if this is an issue from win10 update since at least PowerBI rendering engine uses ( or used before January update ) IE. 

This issue wasn't before January updates ( maybe together with win10 updates? ).

We had the same problem with PowerView in excel 2013 ( also in powerpivot window) and was due to a win 8 update. Took 4 months to solve.

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos can you take a screenshot of the problem, to help us diagnose the cause? I'm wondering if it's a display issue or a data processing issue.

@pqian  It is a display problem..Also because it happens with users on browser that don't have even pbix istalled. 

In case my initial post doesn't cover all this is the photostory..( affecting all the users I checked ).

1.  PowerBI Desktop December Update...No Problem in loading ( Enter Data ) or in display.

Used my home laptop. 

1.png2.png

2. Uploading this file ( December version) to Service - Browser and surprise!!!

3.png

3.  PowerBI Desktop January update loads the data correct but surprise the report is wrong

5.png4.png

4. Because you will ask..Yes but what about Data Load...The same in both laptops...

6.png

5. But again you will ask me regarding the regional settings...I haven't change anything before or after  January  updates in pbix and service..Surprise..

7.png

I don't really post often regarding a serious bug ( open ticket  in free & o365 ) but again this is after the PowerBI update of January in the Desktop and in the Web Service. So it is something wrong probably with the update of PowerBI or with some security or other update of win 10. 

Edited:  Web Version is affecting other users..all win10..no PBIX installed...

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos Thanks for the detailed report. We are now tracking this issue internally and hope to get a fix out ASAP.

There are several regional settings that will affect the PowerBI flow. The ETL part (PowerQuery) respects the Workbook Culture, which is set in the Data Load settings tab, and defaults to your machine's region settings. This affects how we PARSE the data from file-based sources (like CSV).

The display part on the desktop (reports tab) uses your machine's region settings, and the service (PowerBI.com) picks up your browser's regional settings. We found that reports canvas isn't picking up the regional settings correctly since Jan.

@pqian Thanks. Now we know how regional settings are affecting all aspects of PowerBI.

Regarding Desktop I understand the bug due to big updates and it will fixed in a new release. The biggest issue is not this since the report owner most of the times will load the pbix to the service.

The users using the Service are now having the same problem without changing anything in regional settings. Did you reproduce the issue internally or might an update in service or windows causing the same problem and PowerBI.com cannot pick IE regional settings?

Appreciate your help and explanations. 

P.S. Thanks for the great job in the product.

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos we can repro the issue with the service as well, working on a fix. 

@pqian That is great...and from time difference I guess you are working hard & too early 🙂

Konstantinos Ioannou

@konstantinos or...too late 😉

Hi all ,

@pqian fixed the issue in another thread  http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Thousand-Separator-and-Decimal-Separator/m-p/19215/highlight...

There is a new version of PowerBI Desktop that reads the number formats correct. The version number is 2.31.4280.661 64-bit (januari 2016). Download , install and everything but to normal or half of it since the PowerBI service issue is not yet fixed ( even if I upload a latest correct pbix file ). Probably we expect a fix later..

Konstantinos Ioannou

@pqian That is great...and from time difference I guess you are working hard & too early..Smiley Happy

Konstantinos Ioannou
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Make sure you submit this as a bug report, as well. You can do so in PBI Desktop by using the 'Send a frown' option in the File menu, or by opening a ticket here for bugs in the PBI Service.

The forums are a great avenue for discussing issues, sharing thoughts / ideas, and troubleshooting, but they are not the official medium to submit bug reports.

Proper bug reports will receive more attention from the devs than forum posts.

You are right, trying to figure if there are others affected. Submit a ticket..

Konstantinos Ioannou

Hi Konstantinos

I haven't had this problem. I´m in europe and have decimal numbers in my report which come out correctly with comma as a decimal seperator.

I'm on version 2.31.4280.361 64 bit

Did you have any feedback on this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.