Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Region & Country one to many

Hello, 

I have created this stand alone table, below.   I am trying to relate the "Region" on this table, to the "Region" on my Orders table. 

It is giving me a many to many error.   I suspect because the Region column contains multiple instances.   

However, I need the ability to drill down by Country...based on the Region selected.  

Any advice on how to set this up is appreciated.   

countries.png

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Anonymous ,

was your problem solved?

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Create a Region table with 1 column and multiple rows.  This table should list down only the unique regions.  Now create a many to 1 relationship from your individual data tables to this new region table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What is the structure of your fact table? It is difficult to determine the error only based on a single table because if I create another table with distinct regions to create 1:* relationship based on this table, it can work fine.

Since there is no information about your fact table, I think you can try to create a bridge table to establish relationship with the dim table and fact table separately.

Or you can share the error message and fact table structure for further discussion.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , In the region table you need to have distinct regions. Here seem like the country is key. Consider the model again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried with a table that has distinct regions  (4 unique ones).    

But then I still have the problem of associating one region to multiple countries.   

Somehow I need the ability to relate the region and country dimensions, to the region and country on my fact table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.