Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thorben
Regular Visitor

Refreshing excel data which needs to be unpivoted

Hi,

i downloaded weekly sales data for 2020. Now i need to refresh the sales data every week with the new week's sales data. The sales data comes in this form:

categorybrandproductweek1week2week3
steelbrand1product14€5€9€
woodbrand2product24€5€9€

I need to unpivot the week sales columns in power bi to have one sales (€) column.

However, if i now want to add the new week sales, i do not know how to. I cannot manually copy paste the new week sales data to the master excel, since some products the rows are not in the same order. Some products might have been added so the rows are not identical. 

New Weeks sales excel might look like this, with brand3 being a newly launched product

categorybrandproductweek4
steelbrand1product17€
steelbrand3product31€
woodbrand2product28€

Can someone help me to add new week sales to the excel or solve this in power bi? I was researching the merge & append functions, but i think this does not help here. 

Thank you very much!

Thorben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thorben 

You can try unpivot columns and append function in Power Query Editor.

Import your tables in excel into power bi desktop.

Week Sales Table:

1.png

Week4 Table:

2.png

Select product column and week columns per table and unpivote them.

Then append two tables.

3.png

Finally, pivote Attribute and Value columns(choose don't aggregate) Result is as below.

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Refreshing excel data which needs to be unpivoted

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thorben 

You can try unpivot columns and append function in Power Query Editor.

Import your tables in excel into power bi desktop.

Week Sales Table:

1.png

Week4 Table:

2.png

Select product column and week columns per table and unpivote them.

Then append two tables.

3.png

Finally, pivote Attribute and Value columns(choose don't aggregate) Result is as below.

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Refreshing excel data which needs to be unpivoted

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Thanks, that worked for me!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not clear if you are combining multiple files or a single file that contains data for all weeks.  In either case though, the steps are the same.  Assuming you are combining multiple files (the more complex case), use the Combine & Transform feature so that you have an example file transform (and its related function).  In that query, select the first three columns, right click and choose Unpivot Other Columns.  This should work on both example files you showed above, and the results will be appended.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks for your reply, Pat!

I am not sure if i should combine multiple files or a single file. I need to update the sales data on a weekly basis, therefore i need to save a new excel as a query (sharepoint folder for example) or append the new weeks in a master excel, which i am unable to to because of the structure of the raw data. I tried to duplicate the first query and change the source to the new excel file. However, i receive this error

thorben_0-1604761012802.png

Some columns are not the same for both queries. The first query has some weeks sales (as columns) that are not included in the new one. The new one has some new week sales added. Can you help with this? 

If the copying of applied steps to the new query works, i need to append or merge the queries?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.