Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Willgart
Helper II
Helper II

Refreshing a model with a large number of columns is very slow

Hi,

I'm working in directquery...

I have created a model against an SQL database and I have about 2000 columns in 12 tables (connected to views in SQL).

I changes the name of the columns in my views, and then click refresh in powebi.

this process took about 30minutes!!!!

while refreshing before the rename process took few seconds only.

any idea?

working in import mode suffer the same behavior. very very long to start the refresh.

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Willgart Working with Import mode would obviously take longer as it will refresh (not delta refresh but full) all columns of all the tables. DQ would be faster as there will be no data import. What I would suggest you is say for example you change column name of a particular view then instead of refresh in power bi desktop, go to query editor -> then select your individual query (view) -> right click and refresh. This will only refresh that individual query and not all the tables (queries) which is not required when you have only one column name change.

I try this too.

when the process was too long with the "global" refresh button, I opened the query view and refresh eaxch table 1 by one.

it was fast...

but...

the model was not updated!

when I click close and apply, the name of the columns has not changed in the diagram and report views.

only a "global" refresh action and waiting for30minutes refreshes the model.

@Willgart When you Close&Apply you should see a warning icon for the visual that is using column that got its name changed and then you will have to drag and drop new column for that visual.

mmm... I dont remember a warning like this one.

I focused on the names and not the usage of the powerbi document.

once the long update over, I did not change it again, but next time I'll double check this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.