Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing Excel Files with extra columns

Hello all,

I am fairly new to power bi so bear with me. I built out a report using a few different excel files and one of my files had a bunch of new columns added to it. All the headers are the same as previous just the addition of new columns and information. Would i be able to replace my old file with this newer excel file without issues and have PowerBI recreate everything i did or will i need to start the report from scratch? 

thank you in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If oringinal column names are not changed, you can replace old file with new file. 

Note: If file name and file path changed, you need to open query editor and input the correct path in the "source" step.

2-1.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If oringinal column names are not changed, you can replace old file with new file. 

Note: If file name and file path changed, you need to open query editor and input the correct path in the "source" step.

2-1.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.